2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Mexico the Hatch Turbo will come this year followed by the Sedan next year. The engine specs are the same as the existing 2.5L Turbo found in other Mazda vehicles and I didn't hear any specs mentioned that are any different than on the current top trim. So no new surprises other than making it official.
I heard electrochromic mirrors and rear parking sensors among other features. These two features are not on US spec Mazda3s. In Mexico, the hatch is sold in the iSport and i Grand Touring Trims. The Turbo will be sold in the S Grand Touring and Signature Trims.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT called Coffee.
2,147 Posts
You are forgetting... no IRS.. no manual transmission..

AWD adds enough weight that the turbo version and the non-AWD N/A version would be about the same in terms of performance.

Also, who's going to mod and tune an automatic? What's the point?

Nice try? Little too late?
CK

Reactions: goldstar

·
Registered
571 Posts
You are forgetting... no IRS.. no manual transmission..

AWD adds enough weight that the turbo version and the non-AWD N/A version would be about the same in terms of performance.

Also, who's going to mod and tune an automatic? What's the point?

CK
Isn't that a bit harsh? I'm a dyed-in-the-wool manual trans guy (have one in my Mazda6)... but
i) I would venture to say that more than 3/4's of Forum members here have automatics;
ii) you can tune a car regardless of its transmission (just don't put a droning exhaust syst. on an automatic transmission car.... pers. opinion); and
iii) an automatic 3rd gen. Mazda6 is faster to 60 versus with the 6MT... by about 1/2 second.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I hope that it will boost sales...

It's just not my cup of tea.. compared to their previous offerings especially.
CK

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Also, who's going to mod and tune an automatic?
Nobody...the turbo motor is proving nearly impossible to tune properly......

I hope that it will boost sales...
It didn't help the Mazda 6 at all. Sales have been dropping steadily for a long time now.
If you want to compete with the big boys like BMW, you can't just put in some pretty interior stuff and call it good. You need a proper motor to go along with the fancy cosmetic bits. There have already been comparisons to hot hatches like the GTI. A 227 hp 4 cylinder turbo that runs out of steam at 5k rpm just isn't going to cut it in that market.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mazda just does not have the deep pockets to be able to do major engine development...

Also, cachet just doesn't appear overnight. Ask Hyundai and especially Kia..

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Mazda has deep enough pockets. They are not going to put a ton of money into the 4 cylinder SA-G motor when the 3.0 motor and new chassis to go with it is just a year away, and you can bet they have sunk a ton of money into that. Add to that the upcoming electric and hybrid cars that are being developed, and there won't much need for the SA-G 4 cylinder in the not to distant future.
Mazda does not need to do any further major engine development for the 3 either. They already have a good motor in the ND2 Miata. If they were to take the 181 hp ND2 motor and use FI on it, it would be a far better fit for the upscale performance luxury car theme that Mazda seems to be trying to create. Mazda doesn't want the "boy racer" image you say? Well, the engine isn't what creates that image, its all the wings and spoilers and loud exhausts. A 2.0L 250hp 7500 rpm screamer in a sedate looking Mazda 3 would be much more fitting for the market Mazda is so far unsuccessfully trying to compete in.
The Kia and Hyundai already have motors to go with the hot hatch theme, and will blow the doors off the turbo 3 with its low revving turbo motor.

·
Registered
245 Posts
... It didn't help the Mazda 6 at all. Sales have been dropping steadily for a long time now....
... A 227 hp 4 cylinder turbo that runs out of steam at 5k rpm just isn't going to cut it in that market.
All sedan sales are dropping. I suspect the 6 sales would be worse without the turbo. By having the turbo, a lot of reviewers talked about the 6, likely resulting in people looking at and buying both turbo and non turbos.

If you do most of your driving on public roads, power between 2,000 and 4.000 rpm is most important. I don’t track my Mazda. 227 to 250 hp would make the difference between almost enough and more than enough power for a daily driver.

If they were trying to develop a MazdaSpeed3, I would agree 100%. It would need 300hp at 6000 rpm, IRS, manual, and a bunch more to compete. There are a lot of great hot hatches on the market and none have a Mazda badge.

In my opinion, the 3 competes with the new BMW 2 sedan thing, Audi A3, and MB A. All have more power but otherwise are no better than the Mazda3.

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
300lb/ft vs 184lb/ft, they will perform very different
No, they won't. Numbers mean nothing. It might shave a few tenths off the 0-60 times, but it will still be a slug compared to the competition. The same engine in the Mazda 6 is not a big performer, why expect any difference here? In fact, when the motor first appeared in the Mazda 6, the big story was how quiet the car was due to better acoustic insulation. The motor got maybe one paragraph- low end power, no high end, a good people hauler, mediocre at best. Lets hope Mazda made some changes in the way the 2.5 performs in the Mazda 3.

All sedan sales are dropping. I suspect the 6 sales would be worse without the turbo. By having the turbo, a lot of reviewers talked about the 6, likely resulting in people looking at and buying both turbo and non turbos.
Yes, currently sales are dropping but the Mazda 6 has been going downhill for a very long time, and the turbo did nothing to improve that. In fact, sales have dropped even more, down 19% for the month of June and almost 39% for the year.

If you do most of your driving on public roads, power between 2,000 and 4.000 rpm is most important. I don’t track my Mazda. 227 to 250 hp would make the difference between almost enough and more than enough power for a daily driver.

If they were trying to develop a MazdaSpeed3, I would agree 100%. It would need 300hp at 6000 rpm, IRS, manual, and a bunch more to compete. There are a lot of great hot hatches on the market and none have a Mazda badge.
The thing is, Mazda is trying to move up market, trying to be a "luxury brand" and while the interiors and the price tags reflect this, the power train does not. At the end of the day its still an econobox with an appliance motor under the hood. Not many will look at the turbo 3 as a "sedate grocery getter for more discriminating drivers" when similar cars with much better performance are available for about the same money. Most will see the words "250 hp turbo all wheel drive hatch " and immediately make the GTI / WRX comparison, and they will be greatly disappointed. Mazda needs to stop trying to be something its not and never was, and go back to its roots where it was successful for many years.

In my opinion, the 3 competes with the new BMW 2 sedan thing, Audi A3, and MB A. All have more power but otherwise are no better than the Mazda3.
My point exactly. If you want to run with the big boys you need to get off the porch. The 2.5 turbo slug just isn't what the car needs. The comparable AWD S3 makes 288 hp ( I bet the power doesn't drop off at 5k rpm either), and has 0-60 times just over 4 seconds, but costs several thousand dollars more. The 230i AWD has 248 hp, 0-60 in just over 5 seconds, and can pull almost 1G on the skidpad...lets see that torsion suspension do that....however, its still going to be at least $15k more than the Mazda, and its not an AWD hatch either, so its not the same thing. The A class is a sedan only, the turbo 3 will be a hatch only for now, so no real comparison there. Price about the same for AWD though the A class will provide a lot more for about the same money, power about the same but the motor won't be diesel like in performance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
.lets see that torsion suspension do that..
Renault Megane RS is regarded as one of the best handling hot hatches and doesn't have IRS (the latest gen Megane RS has 4-wheel steering but the previous one did not and still was the benchmark).
Mk3 Megane RS Trophy-R is faster on the circuit than the GTI Clubsport.
The Mk4 Megane RS Trophy-R is faster than the Civic Type-R on the circuit and can do that without IRS.
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 2.04.44 PM.png

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Should be very similar to the mazda 6 turbo sky. May even be able to swap some Corksport parts they made for the 6 into the new 3. SRI..intercooler piping.. etc.
CK

·
Registered
251 Posts
Car and driver tested the Mazda 6 turbo 0-60 6.4. Same testers got 0-60 in 6.1 with the cx5 turbo that weighs an addition 250 lbs (3563 vs 3810).
How can that be? Could be due to variances and vagaries involved in testing. It could be due to the CX5's AWD. The turbo can't get enough bite in the 6 to take advantage of it's one big ace in the hole, tire smoking low end torque.

Have we all forgotten what a torque steering, tractionless mess the old Speed 3 was? Power had to be artificially limited in the first 2 gears.
As the CX5 gains 284 lbs with awd and turbo, I expect the 3 to gain about the same to get to 3366.
Would it not be reasonable for a turbo 3, lighter by 500 lbs than a CX5 turbo, to land in the mid to high 5s, or about where the GTI lives? Incidentally , that's about the old speed 3s capability as well.
I prefer lighter, simpler RWD, but awd is way preferable to a high torque front driver performance car for both balance and traction.

No high end power? Don't care. I drive on the street, not the racetrack

LATER EDIT. Okay. That last is not real fair. Even an oldster like me enjoys the occasional high rpm rush. No disrespect to you guys who place more emphasis on that sort of thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Car and driver tested the Mazda 6 turbo 0-60 6.4. Same testers got 0-60 in 6.1 with the cx5 turbo that weighs an addition 250 lbs (3563 vs 3810).
How can that be
Mazda 6 is FWD only and doesn't have a limited slip diff and cannot put power down (especially with all-season tires).
My previous car was the Mk7 GTI with electronically controlled LSD and it was useless in the first gear (even in perfect temperature conditions) and second gear when wet.

21 - 40 of 208 Posts