2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GT hatch, manual
10 Posts
I had a really tough time finding a manual 2.5 hatch myself (used gen 3), and ended up driving 230 miles for it. It was really frustrating because plenty of automatics were available, and they were cheaper. I had to watch the various classified/dealer sites like a hawk daily, and immediately contact dealers when something popped up. Anything halfway decent was snatched up quickly. And this carried on from before the start of the pandemic through the very end of April, when I finally picked something up. Sales were supposedly really slow back then.

During that time I kept researching other cars as well, because no manual would have been a deal breaker. I'd have sooner chosen a car that I wanted less than the Mazda3 than taken a Mazda3 with an automatic. But I'm sure that I'm part of a very small minority, so I doubt Mazda is losing enough business over it to make a difference in their strategy. Manuals are being discontinued all over the place. I am a big Subaru guy, and one of the things I liked is that they had manuals available across the lineup, but they've been eliminating them over the last several years, aside from their performance models. They have at least kept charging less for them than the autos.

On this topic, I performed my first "mod" just a couple of days ago (please excuse the filthy car):
save.jpg

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you think that a manual in your 3 is rare - consider the Mazda6. I snapped up one of the very few manual Mazda6's in Feb. 2017. Next model year - 2018 - no more manuals in Canada. In a car (a sedan) - as big as the Mazda6 nobody wants one (nearly no one) but me.

Photo is from the dealership ad that caught my eye in late 2016....

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
USA unveiling of images and pricing: 2021 MAZDA3 2.5 TURBO FULL REVEAL | Inside Mazda

Mazda3 2.5 Turbo (Sedan) - $29,900
Mazda3 2.5 Turbo (Sedan) w/PP - $32,450
+$1000 for hatchback.

"With the Premium Plus package, the front air dam and rear roof spoiler come standard, and the upgraded Appearance Package includes a rear diffuser and side sill extensions. Additionally, all four aerodynamic accessories can be equipped on the standard Mazda3 2.5 Turbo hatchback with its own Appearance Package option. New BBS 18-inch gloss black forged wheels are available on all Mazda3 models."

·
Super Moderator
669 Posts
Thanks for the update. That's a lot of trims. Nice to see the 2.0 come back. Initially I wanted the 2.0 but that was available on the sport trim only.

Not sure how I feel about the turbo prices yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
USA unveiling of images and pricing: 2021 MAZDA3 2.5 TURBO FULL REVEAL | Inside Mazda

Mazda3 2.5 Turbo (Sedan) - $29,900
Mazda3 2.5 Turbo (Sedan) w/PP - $32,450
+$1000 for hatchback.

"With the Premium Plus package, the front air dam and rear roof spoiler come standard, and the upgraded Appearance Package includes a rear diffuser and side sill extensions. Additionally, all four aerodynamic accessories can be equipped on the standard Mazda3 2.5 Turbo hatchback with its own Appearance Package option. New BBS 18-inch gloss black forged wheels are available on all Mazda3 models."
Thanks for posting.

Price for base turbo seems reasonable. I would like to see the equipment breakdown for that to see how it compares to '20 hatch premium. Hope it's not another all black syn skin interior. I would guess its about the level of the old "preferred" trim.
The availability of the forged BBS wheels is good to replace those boat anchors on the other models, but I doubt there will be a lot of takers at $3675.80.
They list 918.75 EACH, like some body would buy one or three.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Talked to the local dealer, the 2021 Mazda3 Turbo will be arriving Canada end of October. Together(?) with the 100th Anniversary models.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,273 Posts
The price tag seems about right.

They added a lot to the top line package. I hope it helps with sales.
CK

·
Registered
273 Posts
The price tag seems about right.

They added a lot to the top line package. I hope it helps with sales.
CK
Me too.
A very loose indicator may be the ratio of Golf to GTI sales over the last few years. About 3 to 1. Very curious that VW has chosen to continue the GTI while dropping the Golf. Must be much better margins with the GTI.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is exactly the way to get it. Dave Coleman has said that the interest isn't there, and the only way to get Mazda to build manual cars (of any sort) is send a lot of requests.
just a random observation since 2014 when i started looking at mazdas, none of their AWD variants come in a manual weirdly enough..

from the Japan only 2014/15 Mazda 3 1.5L AWD to the worldwide CX-3/5/9, none of those AWD system were offered with a manual transmission.. however, the FWD (minus CX9) and RWD (miata) had the option of a manual..

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a g70 as well and they are getting rid of the manual in the next refresh next year too... People cry they want a Manual! But no one buys them so no point for manufactures to build them since its a loss with low sales.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a g70 as well and they are getting rid of the manual in the next refresh next year too... People wine and wine they want a Manual! But no one buys them so no point for manufactures to build them since its a loss with low sales.
The thing the manufacturers seem to forget is that for some reason the people who review cars love manuals (and station wagons but that is another story). They heap an out-of-proportion amount of praise on a car with a manual.

If Mazda would offer manuals for the few people who would buy them and the journalists who review them, they should more than make up the cost of continuing to offer them in the US with the increase in automatic sales.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The thing the manufacturers seem to forget is that for some reason the people who review cars love manuals (and station wagons but that is another story). They heap an out-of-proportion amount of praise on a car with a manual.
Not wanting to ignite a war.... and also indicating that I like automatics too - a manual transmission really encourages being "one" with your car. At least it does for me. I definitely know I'm strange on this issue... but when I drive my Mazda6 6mt - well, particularly for short drives - I don't even have the sound system going 'cuz I 'm so tuned to the car "talking" to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Demand for manuals is still there. It just seems like manufacturers aren’t really invested in offering a good manual on a good car as their penny-pinching appetites demand more investment in safer, more profitable avenues.

If manuals aren’t in high demand as manufacturers claim, specifically in the car enthusiast market, then why are cars like the WRX STI selling so well? I just read an article saying that the STi is currently outselling all compact sports cars as well as the Corvette. The STi is a manual only car. Cars like the GT86, 370z, mustang GT, etc still have very high manual take rates also to further make the case.

I think there’s also a marketing issue that’s creating an additional disconnect between enthusiasts and car brands that’s feeding into “manuals dying.” An interesting case that might shed some light on this is the manual take rate between the Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86. Why does the BRZ have a 78% manual take rate vs 33% for the GT86 when they are virtually identical?

Going back to my original point I keep seeing manufacturers doing this thing; you can’t be like here’s car “A“ which has barely any horsepower and is bland as hell, but you can get it in a manual. Here’s car “B” with way more power and excitement, but comes auto only. Oh, we’re seeing way more enthusiasm for car “B“ therefore we think there’s no demand for manuals. No sh*t.

So if we want to see a Mazdaspeed 3 / turbo 3 with a manual any time soon, we should be forking over 20-30k now on let’s face it, a mediocre car in terms of performance to MAYBE get one in the future?

·
Registered
2018 GT hatch, manual
10 Posts
Going back to my original point I keep seeing manufacturers doing this thing; you can’t be like here’s car “A“ which has barely any horsepower and is bland as hell, but you can get it in a manual. Here’s car “B” with way more power and excitement, but comes auto only. Oh, we’re seeing way more enthusiasm for car “B“ therefore we think there’s no demand for manuals. No sh*t.
Your example is one where the manual is offered as the budget option, rather than the performance option, which I think is more common than manuals being offered for performance reasons...or at least that used to be the case.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Company's need to make $$$ and Manual sales account for only around 1% now in north America.. More EV's are sold then manual's..... Back in 1995 Manuals accounted for over 25% of sales... Manufacturers are not going to investing in a manual unless they see good returns.. makes sense why they are not doing a manual.. Most brands are not selling them for this reason.. Audi, Genesis also just recently have cut out manuals too both stating low interest. Yes you can find some outlier but overall Manual sales are way down overall... Just the way the things are moving... Just hope this SUV thing slows down hahah....

I drove and raced manual cars for years... longest was an Audi TT.. But I have to say when I take my G70 to the track today the Auto does not let me down and i'm just as engaged on the track... current automatic are faster then manual...

The Turbo Mazda 3 will be a good car for the price! I might trade in my 2019 AWD hatch for the turbo version... the 186HP feels slow after driving my G70 lol.. The Mazda 3 is a great car for the price!! And the turbo version is just going to add to that!

·
Registered
169 Posts
just a random observation since 2014 when i started looking at mazdas, none of their AWD variants come in a manual weirdly enough..

from the Japan only 2014/15 Mazda 3 1.5L AWD to the worldwide CX-3/5/9, none of those AWD system were offered with a manual transmission.. however, the FWD (minus CX9) and RWD (miata) had the option of a manual..
This didn't seem correct. Looked at one country (UK) and the first 2 vehicles (3 hatch and CX-30) I checked were offered in AWD MT.

201 - 220 of 260 Posts