2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone powdercoated the 18 inch OEM wheels? I'm looking for a way to make them black but have heard many mixed reviews.

Biggest negative is that the heat treating will permanently weaken the alloy, making the wheels more brittle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has anyone powdercoated the 18 inch OEM wheels? I'm looking for a way to make them black but have heard many mixed reviews.

Biggest negative is that the heat treating will permanently weaken the alloy, making the wheels more brittle.
The heat used to melt the powder into paint isn't that hot...

Also, you could try plastidip or others have used vinyl to cover the wheels.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Otherwise I'd just recommend looking at aftermarket wheels that are lighter.

I'm willing to bet more people would prefer to buy those OEM wheels off you in silver than in any powder color.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I too have thought about powder coating my stock 18's but ended up getting a set of OEM dark gun metal rims, so to stay OEM. I do see some dealers have black powder coated on their showroom cars and charge a few hundred bucks extra for that option.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Powder coating rims can be expensive. Here locally companies want $500 plus for them. If I was to spend that kind of money, I would get aftermarket.

Plasti dipping is going to be my path. It's not permanent, can be redone, holds up to abuse as long it is prepped correctly.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Powder coating rims can be expensive. Here locally companies want $500 plus for them. If I was to spend that kind of money, I would get aftermarket.
:surprise:
seriously?! There's no way, unless it isn't what they do. Do you have any local wheel building shops or anything?

My 2pc wheels only cost $220 with a special color ($20 extra charge since it has to be shipped in), and my 17x8.5s only cost $320 (same color, same $20 extra charge).

I've heard of some places up north being more expensive, and not sure why... there has to be somewhere far cheaper than that. $500 for wheels? It doesn't even use that much powder!

I'm just not a huge fan of plastidip on wheels; nor black wheels to begin with, but that's just personal taste (I like being able to see the wheels and shapes within, black doesn't really provide that).

But with that... I would probably go plastidip. I'd hunt around though; that isn't right if it costs that much... UNLESS they're shipping it off to some other company (which I have heard of before... so may be worth researching)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just talked to a friend of mine ,that comes into work, about powdercoating my stock rims as well. He said it was a pain and wasn't worth the hassle being alloy wheels. He said he just did his wife's Infinity wheels and they didn't turn out that great because of the finish that's already on them. Spending the extra couple of hundred on new wheels would be a better option according to him. He has his own sandblasting and powdercoating shop and does quality and high end stuff. So I had my doubts after that. I still think they would look awesome in dark bronze, though. :)

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
The finish that was already on the wheels should have been worn down by a quality media blaster. There's no reason for someone to apply powder coat over an existing finish, unless they're VERY budget conscious and willing to deal with the issues that this will result in.

This sounds like a case of lack of knowledge or misinformation.

Refinishing an existing wheel will not weaken the structural integrity or cause defects.

Correct pressure, distance, angle, gun motion and operator experience are ever important factors in providing the correct consistency of your finish.

Reactions: nanxun

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Given what others have said, I'd play the long game and just start saving in order to buy yourself a set of nice looking (and lighter weight! Those oem 18s are boat anchors!) wheels in the color you prefer. Waiting and spending more on better/lighter wheels will have all sorts of benefits in the long-run. Plus, like others have noted, better resale on those OEMs if left stock. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Tommytheduck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW, this is the forum discussion I was referencing about powdercoating heat weakening the wheels. But most of these people's cars are in another league than ours: powder coating wheels pros and cons - 6speedonline.com Forums

When I was speaking to the dealer about purchasing my car, I asked about the Gunmetal Grey 18's and he quoted me $2400 extra. He couldn't believe it either.

I have black 16's on my Black Wagon right now for my winter tires, and I love the way it looks. But it's time to swap those out, even up here in Cleveland.

I've read a lot about plasti-dip since I joined this forum, but have yet to try it out. I think I'm going to start small though, perhaps on some badges.

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
I can guarantee everyone here would never experience an issue with powdercoating their wheels.

If anyone does; it would be my track wheels.
And they haven't had a single issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts