2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
to the OP's point, however, it's not just about money. powder coat is stronger than paint and has a far less tendency to chip and/or scuff. if you only care about cost tho, then use that write up of Derrick's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
to the OP's point, however, it's not just about money. powder coat is stronger than paint and has a far less tendency to chip and/or scuff. if you only care about cost tho, then use that write up of Derrick's.
I think it's a waste of money to powder coat stock rims. How much would a powder coat job cost? 200-300? That can go towards a new set of rims. But that's just me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think it's a waste of money to powder coat stock rims. How much would a powder coat job cost? 200-300? That can go towards a new set of rims. But that's just me.
I agree! I dont know where you live... I need the stocks for winter! Powder coating is wasted money!And as mentioned in other threads you really gotta like the stock rims.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I tend to agree. However, some people are in love with their stock rims. I think the lines of the stock 17's compliment the 2010's lines very well. If I didn't like them, I would have just replaced them instead of painting. I ran 18" RPF1's for a few months and honestly didn't like them that much. They didn't look like they belonged on the car. So, if you love the stock wheels and a shop gives you a decent quote, powdercoating isn't a terrible idea. In this case, the OP just wants to go black. There are SO many black aftermarket wheels on the market, it's ridiculous. I would be very surprised if he/she couldn't find something they like in the $400-500 range. That's a nicer option I think because you still have your virgin stockers if you ever sell the vehicle.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I tend to agree. However, some people are in love with their stock rims. I think the lines of the stock 17's compliment the 2010's lines very well. If I didn't like them, I would have just replaced them instead of painting. I ran 18" RPF1's for a few months and honestly didn't like them that much. They didn't look like they belonged on the car. So, if you love the stock wheels and a shop gives you a decent quote, powdercoating isn't a terrible idea. In this case, the OP just wants to go black. There are SO many black aftermarket wheels on the market, it's ridiculous. I would be very surprised if he/she couldn't find something they like in the $400-500 range. That's a nicer option I think because you still have your virgin stockers if you ever sell the vehicle.
Exactly. Sorry to the OP because I didn't intend to derail your thread but for a 400-500, you can probably get a nice set of black wheels. I like the stock 17s just fine (for now anyway lol) and I wouldn't want to powdercoat it just because if/when I sell my car, I'd like to have that set to I can slap them back onto the car.

As for the paint chipping off of a "spray paint can job", I can honestly say that if you do it right, chipping won't be an issue. I know Derrick said he's done about 9 sets of wheels so he might be able to give you a better idea but I've done 2 sets myself and chipping never happened. You spray 3-4 coats of paint on each wheel and clear coat the sucker and it's good to go.

·
Super Moderator
602 Posts
I'm powder coating my stockers I think...except I get mine done for free ;o

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Exactly. Sorry to the OP because I didn't intend to derail your thread but for a 400-500, you can probably get a nice set of black wheels. I like the stock 17s just fine (for now anyway lol) and I wouldn't want to powdercoat it just because if/when I sell my car, I'd like to have that set to I can slap them back onto the car.

As for the paint chipping off of a "spray paint can job", I can honestly say that if you do it right, chipping won't be an issue. I know Derrick said he's done about 9 sets of wheels so he might be able to give you a better idea but I've done 2 sets myself and chipping never happened. You spray 3-4 coats of paint on each wheel and clear coat the sucker and it's good to go.
Well, chipping is ALWAYS an issue, no matter the finish. It can happen to paint and it can even happen to powdercoat. However, painted rims can be repaired. Powdercoat, not so much and certainly not in the typical garage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Talking about Powdercoating (which in my opinion looks really good when done with dark colors)
I am selling my 2010 MS3 stockers and I was thinking about powdercoating them with a friend of a friend that would do it for about $100... Do you all think this would make them a more attractive offer, or should I just sell them plain as they are?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Talking about Powdercoating (which in my opinion looks really good when done with dark colors)
I am selling my 2010 MS3 stockers and I was thinking about powdercoating them with a friend of a friend that would do it for about $100... Do you all think this would make them a more attractive offer, or should I just sell them plain as they are?
I would offer them as is or powdercoated in the buyer's choice of colors for an additional $100. Imo, that would be a tremendous offer (depending on the asking price for the wheels themselves, that is).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok i got a quote from a place (recommended to me by my dealership) for 30 bucks a rim. I'm definitely thinking about it and I love the stock rims. I would have tried to paint them myself but I think ill just mess it up :sad 1:. By the way I live in LA thanks for the responses

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
$30 per wheel is a bargin. Heck, between paint, primer, clear, sandpaper, and other things I probably have $20-30 in each of my painted wheels. I would jump on it if they do good work. Does that include sandblasting?

·
Noob M3 Owner
26 Posts
Ok i got a quote from a place (recommended to me by my dealership) for 30 bucks a rim. I'm definitely thinking about it and I love the stock rims. I would have tried to paint them myself but I think ill just mess it up :sad 1:. By the way I live in LA thanks for the responses
I am also in/near LA, I was going to paint mine, but if its this cheap and high quality, please pass the info to me!! I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Noob M3 Owner
26 Posts
Any results? I would like to see some pics of the completed work. Also, how about some shop contact info?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I powder coated my stock 2012 wheels flat black. 75 a wheel at kings coating in Allentown pa. I live in jersey . Bout an hour ride. They came out great they are not mounted yet because it still winter but I'm very happy with them I had to spray paint the plastic center cap

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.