2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their stock rims powder coated? How do you like them? How do they compare to the black ones Mazda sells?

Im thinking about getting my 2014 s touring rims powder coated gloss black. I had them plastidipped for a while but I've decided to move on from that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you want a cheap alternative to new wheels, absolutely get them powdercoated. You shouldn't have to pay more than $300~ for it. But it should last you forever given that it's done right.

I went the even cheaper route by taking my wheels off, scuffing them down a bit with scotchbrite red pads, masking the tires off, and spraying them gold/bronze

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts

Reactions: MotorCityJax

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've powder coated the original ones....

They were silver, and I wanted the gunmetal ones..

But the price of Mazda is ridiculous so I powder coated them.
It's not the same colour as the Mazda gunmetal ones but I like them to...

I think that powder coated is better then the stock ones.
Because the Mazda ones are only on the front in gunmetal metal colour and if you powder coat them the outside and inside is in colour so the wheel is better preserved against wetter conditions...

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I took the 18" OEM silver ones and had them PC'd "Ultra Black Chrome."

I like the fact that powder coating is 10+ times more rock chip resistant, and they will become my winter wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Did mine gun metal gray because gloss black shows dirt WAY too easily.
RT's chrome black prolly won't though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ended up buying black alloy so I have the stock rims sitting in the garage. I am planning on Getting mine powder coated. Winter rims that will look good instead of plain steel rims. Not quite cool enough to make me look forward to driving around in snow.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
The power is manufactured by a company called "Prismatic Powders," one of the "biggies.' My powder coater bought it from them.

I do not know whether you or I can buy it online; their phone number is: (866) 774-7628

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/

BTW, they also have a lighter black chrome than mine and a darker one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The power is manufactured by a company called "Prismatic Powders," one of the "biggies.' My powder coater bought it from them.

I do not know whether you or I can buy it online; their phone number is: (866) 774-7628

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/

BTW, they also have a lighter black chrome than mine and a darker one.
thank you, they seem to sell online.

Do you have pictures of the wheels mounted on the car?

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Not yet. That will be later when I mounted my dedicated snows on that second/winter set. I am not planning to mount my winter wheel set until around December 15th.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

I got my car back a few days ago and I'm impressed. Wayyyy better than plasti dip. I was charged $400 and that includes dismounting and remounting my wheels.

Now I'm working on installing the OEM aero kit.

Will post pics when finished

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.