2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about Powder Coating my stock Mz3 rims, but i really don't know much about it. I don't have the funds at this moment in time to buy rims, so im looking into this. Pictures if anyone has done this would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plasti dipped my rims and after two month or so of driving.. (multiple trips to San Antonion and to Houston).. Tried taking them off and it was the WORST HASSLE EVER! It was impossible to take off and idk if maybe I did it too think or something.. but it sucked.. still have some spots stuck I cant remove.

I want my rims to look glossy black.. and plastidip was more matte.. anyone know how to get glassy black rims?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Powder coating will really get you that nice gloss look! OEM rims or aftermarket?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I plasti dipped my rims and after two month or so of driving.. (multiple trips to San Antonion and to Houston).. Tried taking them off and it was the WORST HASSLE EVER! It was impossible to take off and idk if maybe I did it too think or something.. but it sucked.. still have some spots stuck I cant remove.

I want my rims to look glossy black.. and plastidip was more matte.. anyone know how to get glassy black rims?
As for the plastidip, you probably didn't have it on thick enough. The thicker/more coats there are, the easier it is to remove. Or so I'm told. I haven't tried to remove my plastidip.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
As for the plastidip, you probably didn't have it on thick enough. The thicker/more coats there are, the easier it is to remove. Or so I'm told. I haven't tried to remove my plastidip.
yea use atleast 1 can per wheel. we used like 2 cans for 4 19" wheels on my friends 135i...shit was a bitch to take off haha had to rub it off with our fingers. then did it a second time, about 1 can per wheel. peeled right off. if not, you can use Goo Gone, it melts the plastidip so you can just wipe it off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think what the OP is trying to say, is whether or not powder coating would look good on his STOCK rims. He probably hasn't seen it before.

Sometimes I have the same question about the new Skyactiv rims too. It's kinda, rotating in one direction... hahaha.

Would that look good black? I wanna know too!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Powder coating is good for oem wheels. The only problem is you have to make sure where youre taking your wheels or where your sending them has experience with alloy wheels. If they bake them too hot or too long, the wheel becomes brittle. A for the skyactiv rims, I don't really like the style. So would they look "good" black? Since I dont like the style, probably not to me. Would they look worse in black than they do in the oem silver color? Probably not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.