2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
KevinG620
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I was looking into powder coating my rims a satin black. The shop quoted me $125 per wheel to unmount, sandblast, powder, balance, and mount in one day. Does that sound about right? What are some prices you guys have been quoted? My wheels are 18" btw.

Attachments

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Hey guys I was looking into powder coating my rims a satin black. The shop quoted me $125 per wheel to unmount, sandblast, powder, balance, and mount in one day. Does that sound about right? What are some prices you guys have been quoted? My wheels are 18" btw.

That's a really quick turn-around for all of that work.

And $125 per is a more than fair price for them stripping tires, mounting and balancing and powdercoating.

·
KevinG620
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

That's a really quick turn-around for all of that work.

And $125 per is a more than fair price for them stripping tires, mounting and balancing and powdercoating.
That's good to hear. I don't know why, but I always feel like I'm getting ripped off when I shell out big bucks on my car. Lol Hopefully the powder coating lasts me a long while. I live in el paso, so I'm very prone to rock chips.. You should see my bumpers.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
That's good to hear. I don't know why, but I always feel like I'm getting ripped off when I shell out big bucks on my car. Lol Hopefully the powder coating lasts me a long while. I live in el paso, so I'm very prone to rock chips.. You should see my bumpers.
Quality powdercoating is some of the best ways to finish metal, and is pretty durable.

A LOT more durable than the paper-thin paint that Mazda applies from the factory!

·
KevinG620
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quality powdercoating is some of the best ways to finish metal, and is pretty durable.

A LOT more durable than the paper-thin paint that Mazda applies from the factory!
That's true, but do you think it'll hold against a careless mazda technician taking my wheels off with an impact gun?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think I was quoted around $150 -$175 a wheel but that is because I wanted a special color that was not just a single step. This was in NJ

·
Registered
3 Posts
I paid $325 for matte black polyester type of powder coating. That didn't include anything other than preparation and the powder coating.
I was getting summer tires put on afterward, so I'd had the tire folk remove everything beforehand.

·
KevinG620
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the wheels back, they look awesome. I'll post some pics whenever I get a chance. For those of you who had experience with powder coated rims, how did Yall keep them clean? I heard soap and water works with a little waxing after. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I bought silver mazdaspeed genII wheels and powdercoated them sating black. They came out awesome. Sometimes I think they're a bit chippy, as I've touched them up a few times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was quoted at $75/tire for 1 coat which is all needed for matte black or gunpowder grey, or $100/tire for 2 coats. I'm in SoCal

These are for 16's

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
If you brought those pictures in with you to a good powdercoater, they'll be able to match very closely.

Paint matching is their job, so trust the experts!

FYI - (gunmetal over polish)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey banana did you take your lights to a shop to get smoked? They are the exact shade I am looking to do on my front lights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts