2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a gray mazda 3s...and i was thinking of powder coating the rims black?? any thoughts on this? and could someone photoshop me a pic of a gray mazda 3s with some black stock rims? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I think black rims look good! I think powder coating the stock rims would be the best way to get your stock rims to look black. Its probably not the most cost effective, but I would think it would last longer than spray paint and would hold up to harsh winters, rock chips and some other minor "oops" that might happen.

However, I think the stock rims are very stock looking! They aren't that nice and if you are going to spend some coin, then get some nice looking aftermarket rims. I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'm sure you can get a good looking set for a decent price and still be able to use your stock rims for winter driving or sell them to someone else on the forum.

Good luck!

·
Registered
452 Posts
just get new rims and sell your stockers

·
Registered
109 Posts
i have a gray mazda 3s...and i was thinking of powder coating the rims black?? any thoughts on this? and could someone photoshop me a pic of a gray mazda 3s with some black stock rims? thanks in advance.
Its not cheap.....personally i dont think its cost effective unless your sold on the stock design and you love the stock look but just want them to be black...For the money you can find a nice set of Tenzos,Rota various other brands that have varying colors and designs. Just do some research to make sure you get the size you want with correct offset.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree that powder coating is a waste, sorry. Its not very cost effective and now you dont have your stocks for winter tires. Have you look into buying second hand black rims? Craigs list?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think black rims look good! I think powder coating the stock rims would be the best way to get your stock rims to look black. Its probably not the most cost effective, but I would think it would last longer than spray paint and would hold up to harsh winters, rock chips and some other minor "oops" that might happen.

However, I think the stock rims are very stock looking! They aren't that nice and if you are going to spend some coin, then get some nice looking aftermarket rims. I don't know how much you want to spend, but I'm sure you can get a good looking set for a decent price and still be able to use your stock rims for winter driving or sell them to someone else on the forum.

Good luck!
that's because you have a mazda 3i :tongue:

The folks that have the sport (GS right?) and the GT 5dr have 17in rims and very nice looking stock rims. I'm assuming the sedans with the same GS and GT have 17inch too.

Now whether or not they have an i or not we dont know.

how much would you expect to pay for powder coating? i have no clue but i think it would be cheaper then dropping 2-4k on 17 or 18inch rims.

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Although this is more gunmetal than black...but you get the idea. They look great if you ask me

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Oops...I just realized that 3 has speed3 rims on it......my b

·
Registered
699 Posts
yeah those monochrome 3 rims are sick if you ask me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are actually the RX-8 R3 wheels which happen to look like the new Speed3s wheels, but they are gunmetal and 19".

They are also a bajillion dollars a piece. I looked into getting them when I originally saw that white speed3 in the pic you posted, but they cost so much it's not worth it.

EDIT: As the speed3 guys start getting aftermarket wheels, hopefully there will be people selling their stocker speed3 wheels. Maybe pick those up and find a cheap place to powdercoat (some places charge less if you send them in or leave them with for a few weeks, something you can't do if they are your primary wheels)

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
If anyone does want a set of 2010 speed3 wheels.....I can sell you mine. I have been thinking of rims for a while now and I will order them once I find a buyer for my stocks since I don't have a garage to just keep them around.

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Hey, nosubstitute959, post that up in the "For Sale" section... There's a couple people that want a set of MS3 wheels on here... I'm sure they'd sell fast!

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Will do.....thanks for the heads-up

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
I agree with other posters. Don't waste money on the stock rims unless you're in love with them. Aftermarket rims are a better investment. If you don't have the cash to drop on new rims, try painting the stockers. That's what I did and it has worked out very well.

Actually, those are 19's from a RX-8 R3 and they don't fit a 3 without modification. Those cars have coilovers and other work done to them as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
i like my stock gs sport hatch rims.... and powder coating is an interesting option. I think since i couldn't get a graphite hatch with a moon roof that i can do the rims graphite on the gunmetal blue.

·
lvl 13 Custodial Artist
17 Posts
hellhhyeah, i wish mine looked like that lol, i was actually wanting to just spray mine black. i have the 2.5 l ones, but i dont know if i should or not..?

·
Registered
36 Posts

possibly a little late but heres a picture of my car with stock powder coated black wheels on the graphite mica. i love it!
i have other pictures if you want to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
possibly a little late but heres a picture of my car with stock powder coated black wheels on the graphite mica. i love it!
i have other pictures if you want to see.
I'd like to see some more pics. This is something i've been thinking of doing for a while now

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I think the 17" stock wheels would look cool powdercoated. I actually like the design.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts