2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I briefly got excited when I saw an envelope from 'City County Insurance Services' in today's mail but my excitement dropped off when I realized it was not a security envelope and would therefore not contain a check. What it did contain is this letter...my fight rages on.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
What a load of crap. Of course the contractor is directly responsible for the failed repair, but the city is ultimately responsible for maintaining the roadway no matter what. The construction may not have had any direct municipal involvement but the city is responsible for inspecting these construction sites to ensure the contractor properly repaired the roadway to a safe and passable condition. Verizon almost certainly was required to draw a permit, secure bonding, hire a city police officer etc to do this construction, so yes there was some municipal involvement. In addition there should be a record of somebody going out to inspect this site at some point after the work was done. Sounds like this letter is covering some person or persons who aren't doing their job.....
You might want to find out if somebody has fixed the hole, and who fixed it.
This from 33 years working for the state DOT doing exactly this sort of thing.....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Oh I'm far from done with this. I'll be calling Verizon tomorrow but I have less than zero hope that they'll admit to anything so I really don't see any chance of this being resolved outside small claims court. If VZ refuses I'm taking both them and the city to court...VZ for not filling the cut properly and the city for not ensuring the cut was filled properly.

Edit: I'll be hitting the city's permit office tomorrow to pull the permits VZ was given for this work and to see what the city stipulated be done once the work is complete. I think you're probably right @arathol this is somebody covering somebody's ass.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Your experience so far is exactly what I would expect.

That is why it would not occur to me to seek compensation from pothole damage unless the damage was substantial. I do not consider $100 substantial. I would anticipate that I would not be able to get a $10-per-hour return on the effort it would take to collect such an amount from a city or its contractor.

To me, the frustration alone would take more than $10 per hour out of my psyche.

But I do understand why you are doing this, and I sincerely wish you the best in this endeavor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Your experience so far is exactly what I would expect.

That is why it would not occur to me to seek compensation from pothole damage unless the damage was substantial. I do not consider $100 substantial. I would anticipate that I would not be able to get a $10-per-hour return on the effort it would take to collect such an amount from a city or its contractor.

To me, the frustration alone would take more than $10 per hour out of my psyche.

But I do understand why you are doing this, and I sincerely wish you the best in this endeavor.
It's going exactly as I expected, too. I considered abandoning the chase but I decided not to because at this point I've got nothing more to lose. I'm not a vindictive person but I believe in right and wrong and if I can't make it right I can make a few people miserable as a result.

Also, in typical government fashion, the company responsible for the cut was Northwest Natural Gas, not Verizon as the letter stated. Thankfully the name and phone number for the contact were correct.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You can get $500 to $700 for new rims and tires if you file a claim with their insurance.

I've seen many such claims on loss run reports for utility contractors and street and road guys.

No need for small claims court either, just get the certificate of insurance that was given to the city to perform the work. It will show their general liability carrier and related policy number.

Call the insurance company and file a claim. Your pictures are all the proof you need.
CK

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Cool. Glad you were able to get that.

I did the same thing a while back and got a new rim from Tascaparts.

I was lucky enough to have bought tires from American Tires in the past.. they mounted and balanced the tire on the new rim for me for free. :)

American Tires (Discount Tires on the East Coast) is a great company.
CK

21 - 28 of 28 Posts