2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home with a friend and hit an absolute monster of a pothole. Because of the low light and wet road, I didn't even see it and as a result, one of my wheels now has a nice flat spot on the edge. I'm not sure if the barrel is stressed or damaged, too. I'm 99.99% certain the city will tell me to pound sand but I'll be pressing my case about this. If I can prove it was reported (this is a very busy street) and they did nothing, I'll be taking them to small claims court for negligence if they refuse to pay up.

Cedar Hills Blvd. Pothole by Andrew, on Flickr

Cedar Hills Blvd. Pothole - Context Shot by Andrew, on Flickr

Cedar Hills Blvd. Pothole Wheel Damage by Andrew, on Flickr

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear you got stuck with that. Good luck with going after them.

Are the tires holding at least? Regardless, that looks like it will compromise the tire sealing to me. Not to mention throw the balance out, etc.

Since you're using stock rims (or so it looks like) a scrapyard is a good option for replacement. Just give it a good inspection. Only issuee might be finding one. Try www.car-part.com.

I remember trashing a rim with my old car, took a big chunk out of it. I found one in excellent condition for a great price, but I had to drive 2 hours to get it.

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Ouch, those never feel good. Does your state has a pothole report and fix within 24 hours? NC does and I always use it when I see potholes on my routes.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
Here is what you do-
Find out who actually maintains the road- state, county, city etc, who is responsible for doing regular inspection patrols of the roadways, and if a defect log was kept. Check with the police to see if any patrol officers reported this. It does not matter if it was reported. The roadway is expected to be maintained so that it is safe and passable at all times, and defects like this should not go unrepaired. That hole looks like its been there a while.
That hole is the result of a poorly repaired utility cut. You should be able to find out who did the work, who inspected the work, when it was done etc. If this was a permanent repair, it should be filled with hot mix asphalt, if it is a temporary repair its filled with cold patch. A long term repair using cold patch is unacceptable. Its hard to say from the picture what was used.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone.

A local wheel repair shop that I used to cover curb damage before has quoted me $100 to straighten the rim out so I'll be going that route. For a hundred bucks I'm really doubting if it's worth going after the city but I may do it anyway just to be irritating. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.

A local wheel repair shop that I used to cover curb damage before has quoted me $100 to straighten the rim out so I'll be going that route. For a hundred bucks I'm really doubting if it's worth going after the city but I may do it anyway just to be irritating. :LOL:
Make sure they check the rim for out of round, run out etc also. If the rim isn't trued up it will never balance right and you'll have a perpetual vibration.

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
You'll want to have the tire checked also. There may be no visible damage from the exterior, but an impact like that can cause all sorts of problems down the road. Lots of times you can see more by looking at the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
218 Posts
A moment of silence for you rim and of the moment you drove over the hole, i know the feeling.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the support, y'all.

Today I spoke with the city's risk management office and after he took down all my information, he sent me a damage claim form to fill out which I did and returned to him. At the moment he's trying to figure out who is responsible, the city or the contractor who did the utility work for the Chick-Fil-A that just went in there (hence the hole they cut in the road). Once they determine that, we'll take the next step which is hopefully a check for the amount of damages.

The tire is currently holding air but I will have them inspect it while it's off the rim for straightening and will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’m surprised no one here has suggested you have the alignment (at least the front end) checked as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had the wheel 'straightened' today and in addition to gouging the face when dismounting the tire, they also mauled the area where the bend was. I should have at least expected this from a wheel refinishing company. "We can fix that for you for an additional $100." No...just let me leave. Oh and they left my key on the windshield where I almost got onto the highway with it...

Rather than go through trying to get the gray finish matched (virtually impossible) I may just bite the bullet and buy a new wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sounds like you're dealing with an incompetent shop. I've had one go-round with a wheel shop on my wife's Z4 BMW and they did a beautiful job repairing and matching the paint. That was done through my body shop as part of a much larger job, so I don't actually know what the cost was. But when I contacted them a couple of years later to ask about doing the same kind of repair/repaint on another of the Z4's rims, they quoted me $165.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would change the tyre. If the force of the pothole has been that large as to damage the rim, it's 99.9% likely that it's also damaged the sidewall of the tyre.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like you're dealing with an incompetent shop. I've had one go-round with a wheel shop on my wife's Z4 BMW and they did a beautiful job repairing and matching the paint. That was done through my body shop as part of a much larger job, so I don't actually know what the cost was. But when I contacted them a couple of years later to ask about doing the same kind of repair/repaint on another of the Z4's rims, they quoted me $165.
I think this shop is under new (read: worse) ownership. I've used them before and they were always great but I certainly won't be going back again. I dealt directly with the owner for a few minutes and he struck me as a very unpleasant person. That sort of attitude really rubs off on a business.

I would change the tyre. If the force of the pothole has been that large as to damage the rim, it's 99.9% likely that it's also damaged the sidewall of the tyre.
I need to get the inside of the tire looked at. The wheel guy said he was going to but he didn't say anything and if he's as bad at looking at tires as he is fixing rims, I wouldn't trust his opinion anyway.

This story just took a bad turn... Sorry to hear.
Thanks man. Just trying to keep my head on my shoulders and deal with this one step at a time.

I'm currently trying to find a replacement wheel but Mazda went and pulled a GM on us. The part number 9965-33-7080 (cast into my wheels) applies to both the silver and gray wheels and I seem to recall somebody saying here that you can't actually get the gray ones. I'm hoping that's not true but I've sent mazdaswag.com a message to see if they can shine some light on the situation. I've also found numerous wheels that look identical to mine on eBay but carry weird part numbers that numerous sites say don't fit my car.

The saga continues....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Addendum: The city has actually been the easiest and so far best party of this whole endeavor. The risk management guy e-mailed me back today saying that if he didn't hear back from the road department on liability he's just going to run it through the city's insurance carrier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where are you located ?. I just swapped the wheels and tires on a week old '19 Hatch 4WD, might be the same wheels. I also have 2 Toyo OEM tires.. I'm unloading these to a junk shop but would gladly sell to somebody in need if they are local (I'm in western Long Island). The rim looks the same, not sure, but I've 4 18" OEM titanium colored wheels that have no damage. See my post on 2 blown OEM tires and why I went to 16" wheels and higher profile tires.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where are you located ?. I just swapped the wheels and tires on a week old '19 Hatch 4WD, might be the same wheels. I also have 2 Toyo OEM tires.. I'm unloading these to a junk shop but would gladly sell to somebody in need if they are local (I'm in western Long Island). The rim looks the same, not sure, but I've 4 18" OEM titanium colored wheels that have no damage. See my post on 2 blown OEM tires and why I went to 16" wheels and higher profile tires.
I really appreciate the offer but I'm on the completely other side of the country (Portland, OR).

Things are still moving albeit very slowly. The city has transferred my claim to their insurance carrier and they have identified the contractor who was supposed to correctly fill that utility cut and did not do so. I have found a brand new wheel in the correct gray color which makes me feel a lot better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts