2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I have been enjoying my new 2015 GX Sport since I picked it up in January, but I recently found a local 2012 Mazdaspeed3 that got my attention since these are becoming more rare every day. I never had the chance to drive one before they were discontinued so I decided to try it out!

.... unfortunately, I have might caught the speed bug.

This one in particular is a 2012 with 49,000 km (30k miles) and a decent not-so-used set of Nokia winter tires. The dealer's first offer was $22,000 plus taxes and fees and a set of summer tires thrown in the deal. The only downside is the Bose subwoofer is missing so there is definitely a lack of bass.

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Base (M6) | used cars & trucks | Moncton | Kijiji

What are your thoughts on this type of switch? Should I be looking for anything in particular with the 2012-2013 Mazdaspeed3? Also, how effective are these power programmers? I see that COBB is a popular choice but Hypertech has one that advertises gains of 66 hp & 27 tq for $450. http://www.tirerack.com/engine_tuni...oModel=Mazdaspeed3&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=

Here are a few pictures and a video I took during my test drive. Everything sounds good and feels tight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rBGZmgChM

I got spoke with our salesmen at Mazda about this and he said to leave this to him as he can also find me a Mazdaspeed3 so I am keeping my options open. I'd simply love to get feedback from real Mazdaspeed3 owners!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The prices on gen1 & gen 2 Speed3s might drop when (if?) the gen3 mps3 (ever) comes out. Just saying.... :wink:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Hey guys so I have been enjoying my new 2015 GX Sport since I picked it up in January, but I recently found a local 2012 Mazdaspeed3 that got my attention since these are becoming more rare every day. I never had the chance to drive one before they were discontinued so I decided to try it out!

.... unfortunately, I have might caught the speed bug.

This one in particular is a 2012 with 49,000 km (30k miles) and a decent not-so-used set of Nokia winter tires. The dealer's first offer was $22,000 plus taxes and fees and a set of summer tires thrown in the deal. The only downside is the Bose subwoofer is missing so there is definitely a lack of bass.

2012 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 Base (M6) | used cars & trucks | Moncton | Kijiji

What are your thoughts on this type of switch? Should I be looking for anything in particular with the 2012-2013 Mazdaspeed3? Also, how effective are these power programmers? I see that COBB is a popular choice but Hypertech has one that advertises gains of 66 hp & 27 tq for $450. http://www.tirerack.com/engine_tuni...oModel=Mazdaspeed3&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=

Here are a few pictures and a video I took during my test drive. Everything sounds good and feels tight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3rBGZmgChM

I got spoke with our salesmen at Mazda about this and he said to leave this to him as he can also find me a Mazdaspeed3 so I am keeping my options open. I'd simply love to get feedback from real Mazdaspeed3 owners!

First off RUN AWAY FROM THAT SPEED! If a dealer is going to charge you that much for 2012 used than that's a sign to walk away. That's the price of a brand new 13 non tech. I wouldn't pay a penny more than 16.5k if even. Honestly knowing the community I'd say 80% of people push these vehicles hard. It's hard to say about these cars without a carfax report and actually looking under the hood. Move on and find a much better deal.

Ugh, I know but that won't be before 2017 if it happens. Mazda already delayed the new Mazda 2 because of the CX-3 & MX-5 release this year.
The prices on gen1 & gen 2 Speed3s might drop when (if?) the gen3 mps3 (ever) comes out. Just saying.... :wink:
You all have to stop thinking there's gonna be a speed especially with that date. The mazdaspeed line is dead for now and unless Mazda actually say's that, I wouldn't even bother trying to think of a new one coming. They are very good about being hush hush and also telling you the truth.

Reactions: trixx506

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
You all have to stop thinking there's gonna be a speed especially with that date. The mazdaspeed line is dead for now and unless Mazda actually say's that, I wouldn't even bother trying to think of a new one coming. They are very good about being hush hush and also telling you the truth.

Amen to that

·
Premium Member
6,186 Posts
22 for used one?!?! Just for perspective, I paid about 23 (before ttl) for mine new. The miles and year are good on the one you found, but I'd suggest you keep searching for a more appropriately priced one. Plus, that one was probably modified and who knows how well that was done. There are unmolested ones out there, I've seen them on the lot and even driving around. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yeah that's very high for a ms3. I would steer clear from just that only cuz you'll have very little negotiating wiggle room and just wouldn't be worth it. The current ms3 is, to be honest, a dying breed. There are still manufactures who still support the platform but that's up to you on how you feel about it.

The car is a blast to drive & very fun & sporty looking. It turns heads at times so that's always a plus.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
First off RUN AWAY FROM THAT SPEED! If a dealer is going to charge you that much for 2012 used than that's a sign to walk away. That's the price of a brand new 13 non tech. I wouldn't pay a penny more than 16.5k if even. Honestly knowing the community I'd say 80% of people push these vehicles hard. It's hard to say about these cars without a carfax report and actually looking under the hood. Move on and find a much better deal.
22 for used one?!?! Just for perspective, I paid about 23 (before ttl) for mine new. The miles and year are good on the one you found, but I'd suggest you keep searching for a more appropriately priced one. Plus, that one was probably modified and who knows how well that was done. There are unmolested ones out there, I've seen them on the lot and even driving around. Good luck on your search.
Yeah that's very high for a ms3. I would steer clear from just that only cuz you'll have very little negotiating wiggle room and just wouldn't be worth it. The current ms3 is, to be honest, a dying breed. There are still manufactures who still support the platform but that's up to you on how you feel about it.

The car is a blast to drive & very fun & sporty looking. It turns heads at times so that's always a plus.
Thank you so much for the support guys. It definitely helps. The COBB stickers definitely left me wondering how much the car was abused, not that I didn't push it myself during the test drive. For what it's worth, it was a trade-in at a local GMC/Buick/Cadillac and a CarProof was available for it. I didn't waste the salesman's time for it as I was in a rush to leave when I dropped off the Mazdaspeed3. He is currently investigating why the subwoofer is missing.....

Take it from a Canadian's perspective on the pricing, a Mazdaspeed3's MSRP in the US is 24k new, while it is 29k in Canada. God knows why the 5k difference, but the price is actually within market pricing for the model year and mileage.... A NEW 2013 Mazdaspeed3 can easily cost upwards of 35k including taxes and fees in Canada.

Anyway, our Mazda salesman is currently looking for one at the moment. He will get back to me this afternoon. If it qualifies as a Certified Pre-Owned I will benefit from 0.9% at 24 months then add 1% per year to a max of 3.9%. Certified Pre-Owned Mazdas also come witha 160-point detailed inspection, 7-year/140,000 km limited powertrain warranty, 24hr emergency roadside assistance, carproof, zero deductible, transferable benefits, etc.

Looking forward to possibly owning one of these gems at a decent price one day. Now that 2-3 year models are on the market, I realize how I could possibly afford one.

Cheers!

On a side note, Mazda Canada replied to me today in regards to the Mazda 2 and any possible future Mazdaspeed:
"As of right now, the 2016 Mazda2 is set to be released sometime in the second half of 2016. There's no word yet from headquarters on the availability of the Mazdaspeed3.

Cheers,

Mazda Canada"

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alright guys, so option 1 with the Silver Stream Mica would cost me $168 bi-weekly for 84 months at 4.98% which is the dealer's best rate for used cars.

This is option 2, a white 2012 Mazdaspeed3 with tech (nav, power seats) and under 60,000 km (40k miles). It's in pristine condition and the only notable thing is the CarProof showing a $800 repair on the rear bumper. If I give back my 2015 model to Mazda, this one would cost me $182 bi-weekly for 84 months at 3.74% (0.25% off being a Mazda owner). If I was lucky enough to find someone to take over the 34 remaining payments of $184.79/month on my 2015, keeping in mind I would have to pay the $450+ transfer fee, I would only have to pay $172 bi-weekly as opposed to 182.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Still being in Canada I wouldn't pay that. Maybe 18-19k would be max but I'd still walk away from those prices.

Reactions: trixx506

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You guys are right. I should be asking for the final price of the car instead of letting them offer me payments already.... not used to negotiating a lot since I have more experiencing leasing. So far I have only talked pricing via emails and I hear it's best to do it that way since it puts the ball in the dealers' court to give me the best possible deal.

I tried looking on my own for a MS3 and within a 1000 km radius I only found three 2012 between 18-21k located in Quebec (8-10 hour drive away). I'm wondering if they are worth looking into since there are already two possible choices in my hometown. I've already requested CarProof reports for a couple of these below.

2012 - White with black rims - $19,931 - 63,181 km
2012 - Black with custom rims - $20,495 - 43,000 km
2012 - White with silver rims - $20,495 - 38,200 km

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Is there a website like kelley blue book but for vehicles in Canada? Basically it gives you a quick appraisal value of the car based on the condition criteria you enter in. On the states side, it's a bit high price.

I just did a quick KBB on my 12', with 72000 miles: Dealer trade-in I'm gonna get a range from $12,600 - $13,700. Private party is about $13,300 - $15,100.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
You guys are right. I should be asking for the final price of the car instead of letting them offer me payments already.... not used to negotiating a lot since I have more experiencing leasing. So far I have only talked pricing via emails and I hear it's best to do it that way since it puts the ball in the dealers' court to give me the best possible deal.

I tried looking on my own for a MS3 and within a 1000 km radius I only found three 2012 between 18-21k located in Quebec (8-10 hour drive away). I'm wondering if they are worth looking into since there are already two possible choices in my hometown. I've already requested CarProof reports for a couple of these below.

2012 - White with black rims - $19,931 - 63,181 km
2012 - Black with custom rims - $20,495 - 43,000 km
2012 - White with silver rims - $20,495 - 38,200 km
So I just took a look at all three and here are my thoughts

1) Seems like more of a younger person had this car and probably messed with it. Rear is debadged and has some weird stuff. Plasti-dipped rims and eyelids on the headlights. Move on from this one.

2) Has some rims but has trailer hitch which means that it most likely was a family oriented guy but had a bit of taste for modifying. Personally I'd look into this one and see if you could work with the price on that one.

3) This one seems like previous owner was a bit more tasteful on mods. Still has lowering springs installed and Hankook Ventus V12 tires which are signs of pushing the car most likely. Move on from this one as well.

Good luck with your search

Reactions: trixx506 and nanxun

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a website like kelley blue book but for vehicles in Canada? Basically it gives you a quick appraisal value of the car based on the condition criteria you enter in.
Canadian Black Book is the equivalent of KBB. The average asking price for a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 is $20,784 and average odometer 50,000 km.

So I just took a look at all three and here are my thoughts

1) Seems like more of a younger person had this car and probably messed with it. Rear is debadged and has some weird stuff. Plasti-dipped rims and eyelids on the headlights. Move on from this one.

2) Has some rims but has trailer hitch which means that it most likely was a family oriented guy but had a bit of taste for modifying. Personally I'd look into this one and see if you could work with the price on that one.

3) This one seems like previous owner was a bit more tasteful on mods. Still has lowering springs installed and Hankook Ventus V12 tires which are signs of pushing the car most likely. Move on from this one as well.

Good luck with your search
I feel like asking you how do you notice these small details like lowering springs and eye lids but you guys are the experts. lol

I'll look into #2 and see what they give me for information.

There's a 2013 w/ Tech on sale by a private owner about 2 hours from here with only 30,000 km but asking price is $25,800. Still too high IMHO. It's the only 2013 for sale in Canada.

Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just bought MS3. I live near Denver and my 2013 MS3 with 13,000 miles was $21,000. No tech pck no mods, black on black. I went out of my way to find a MS3 with low miles and no mods. Round these parts too many young ones beat these babies up on their way to convincing daddy to buy them a WRX.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Why do folks think the mkt for Speed3s (both in the US and Canada) is so overpriced?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.