2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I couldn't sleep and stumbled upon something interesting online.

The Ford 2.5 ( mzr ) engine vs our engine.

well the ford 2.5 engine is pretty much the same. EXCEPT! the ones they use in their hybrid vehicles are :
atkinson cycle engines, and run really high compression, because the cam profile on the intake is weird which make them powerless.

anyway the ford 2.5 pistons are 12.4:1 compression ratio, in virtually the same block.

I'm guessing there is a way to incorporate these pistons and possibly rods too (if needed ) into our blocks.

that has got to be a good 30hp gain.

or even using The entire ford block, with our intake cam. or ford shortblock, with our head.

complete longblock :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-FORD-ESCAPE-2-5L-ENGINE-MOTOR-WARRANTY-35K-MILES-/360482948665?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Ford|Submodel:Hybrid&hash=item53ee754639&vxp=mtr

Info :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
Huh??? not sure a short block or engine swap is either easy or cheap.

·
Zoom Zooming
126 Posts
I heard the 2.0 is the same as a miata engine and that you could just get miata cams for them? Do you know anything about that?:001_unsure:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
probably, but my guess is that on stock ecu it won't work out well, especially with the VVT.

trying to find more info about these pistons / rods in the atkinson 2.5...
pistons from an OEM ford parts site are like 40 bucks each..making me think they are made of freaking plastic or something

·
USMC
176 Posts
$40 OEM pistons? That's insane.
At the same time, plastic is so light, the motor would be so responsive with those pistons… you could be on to something!
Lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
$40 OEM pistons? That's insane.
At the same time, plastic is so light, the motor would be so responsive with those pistons… you could be on to something!
Lol
2nd-Ed haha

I am down for some internals finally! I will research this with a fattie and some chips ahoy and get back with any interesting info pops up.. I know this platform is worth the effort and I am not going to stop until its running on a full stand alone unit putting at least 250 whp .. I know it's a bold statement but just you wait and see:yes:

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
or... put a cosworth mzr in your car.. o.o
i dont think they have 2.5 though.. 2.0 or 2.3 :D

And not cheap.....

·
Registered
336 Posts
cheap in aspect if you were to do yourself but add in tuning and other components to match the increased compression expect the price to be equivalent to a turbo kit

Reactions: dahcchad
1 - 10 of 10 Posts