2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
I am in the process of possibly buying Mazda 3 (sedan) for my wife; at this point, we are looking at 2012-2014 Mazda 3 with automatic (Touring trim or higher);
I never had Mazda in the past… always had Toyota and Nissan cars and\or SUV.

I have done a lot of reading (including threads from this forum), but still have a couple of questions:

1)If we come across good deal on (non-GDI) Mazda 3 with 2.5 L would anyone comment anything against that particular engine? Also what would be the true MPG I could expect from Mazda 3 2.5 L (non-GDI) and 5 speed automatic?
2)What is overall feel from people who had (or had experience with) both (gdi and non-gdi) models of Mazda 3?

Thank all for in advance! Please let me know if you have any comments or recommendations!

P.S. reliability of the vehicle is very important to me, so please let me know if Mazda 3 can be a bad choice for me.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You can get the skyactiv model 2.0L engine 155hp if your wife wants the best mpg. Skyactiv is only available from 2012+ you can get close to 29mpg in the city. Easily 40+ highway. The 2.5L engine is a great medium power engine. A little bit stronger and a little more hp. Personally I wish I got the 2.5L only because of the hp but I love my fuel efficient engine. But ultimately both engines are really good, just depends which feature you care more about. Gas or hp

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
2.5L engine is very reliable. People have been getting 100k miles easily no problem. 2.0L skyactiv engine hasn't had much feedback on achieving these miles or knowing how "reliable" it is only because it simply hasn't been out long enough for many people to really hit 100k. But I have no doubt with regular maintenance, it will easily surpass that

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
every Mazda engine is reliable when given proper maintenance.

that being said, I say get the 2014 skyactiv 2.5L! it is hands down the best performance vs MPG engine mazda has made for the 3!

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
The older 2.5 engine will get you about 25 or so mpg average. We get anywhere from 25-27 mixed driving. It has 42k miles and has never been back to the dealer for repairs. Just do your basic maintainance and it will last. Mazda is one of the most reliable auto manufacturers.

The 2.5 is a little faster because of the added low end torque but the skyactiv motor is almost as fast and gets a much better mileage.
Like orange said the new 2014 2.5 is the best for power and fuel economy.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have driven a 2010 Mazda3 5-speed manual and 2012 3 5-speed automatic, both with the 2.0L MZR engine. The manual was definitely more fun to drive but this engine is still peppy when driven hard. Gas mileage wasnt great as the engine is rated for 25 city 33 highway.

The 2013 with Skyactiv 2.0L is a totally different car. It can be driven hard but you can tell it was designed for fuel economy with the 6-speed manual or automatic transmissnion. Mind you, Driven fairly the the revs can be kept under 2000-2500rpm while getting up to speed, which is not the case for the MZR engine. Rated at 28 city and 39+ on the highway you cant go wrong with this engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2010 S hatch with the 2.5 5sp auto, getting 32mph freeway, about 26 in town, and combined of around 28 during the summer, but my average falls to 26 during the winter. As far as reliability, I have 72k of pretty spirited driving and I haven't done anything besides oil changes and a tranny flush. Haven't had a single problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for their inputs! That is the exact info I was looking for!

Now I just need to find the right deal!

:thumbup 1:

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
Let me know if you have any experience\ thoughts \recommendations regarding Mazda 3, especially skyactiv line of engines which I believe has started in 2011; we are looking 2014 model for my wife;
Mazdas are great cars.. they are extreamely safe.. (can survive a 250ft drop while rolling down a cliff-tested xD) also for teir class they have good power ~150hp for a 2.0 sky and a ~180hp for a 2.5 sky if your looking for a 2014. you can also get a good deal on 2013s no that they being replaced with the new model 2014. soo go out there and buy one :Michael_Jackson_dan

·
Registered
165 Posts
A Toyota fan here.
Bought my mazda cause Toyota had nothing I liked or meet my wants.
Wanted 37 plus mpg highway a manual and aux input.
My i touring has that and Bluetooth streaming.

2.0 skyactiv manual HB
Now I have 42k miles and replaced the stock tires last week.
I havnt been back to the dealership except for a free oil change.
And great gas mileage, with a lifetime mileage average of 39mpg.

But I think I have a bad motor mount. But I like to pull out fast and have wheel hopped a lot. So driver error.

Great power for a little car. Shifting at 2.5-3k rpm I outrun traffic around here.
My car was in 15 states last year. From charleston wv to Kansas City and back only stopping for fuel. For the car or us. No issues.

Never drove the 2.5.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for replies and input: as of the past weekend my wife (and I) are proud owners of 2012 Mazda 3 i Grand Touring with 2.0 GDI (skyactiv) in white pearl exterior and black interior with leather; :banana 1:

So far she (and I) are really liking the car, kids love it too; :smiley:
We got very good deal at the local dealer: the car is CPO with only 4K on the odometer;
The car is really fun and pleasant to drive! :Racing 1:

Now I just hope it will keep up with my “Toyota” quality expectations (Toyota\4Runner fan here:winkiss:);

Thank you all again!
:001_smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts