2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, one of the things people seemed to like most about my '13 Speed3 was my baked and painted headlights. After some fumbling around, it looks like the new headlights are sealed the exact same way as the previous models. I have plenty of experience doing this mod, and now I'm tempted to tackle it on my new ride. Now the question is, what do y'all want to see done?! I need ideas. It's between completely blacked out, red, or blue accent colors. I'm not really interested in any other colors, but feel free to try and persuade me! Once it's done, I'll be posting the pics, and POSSIBLY a how-to.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Okay guys, one of the things people seemed to like most about my '13 Speed3 was my baked and painted headlights. After some fumbling around, it looks like the new headlights are sealed the exact same way as the previous models. I have plenty of experience doing this mod, and now I'm tempted to tackle it on my new ride. Now the question is, what do y'all want to see done?! I need ideas. It's between completely blacked out, red, or blue accent colors. I'm not really interested in any other colors, but feel free to try and persuade me! Once it's done, I'll be posting the pics, and POSSIBLY a how-to.
I'm seriously considering doing this. I want to do a reflective black or gunmetal but am unsure of what to paint and what not to..as well as what to NEVER paint. A straight forward how-to explaning these points would be extremely helpful. Others have made tutorials but whether it's the tutorial itself or the combination of all the tutorials I have watched/read have just led me to be either confused or wary of trying this. I have some really expensive custom made eyelids to install so need to bake and paint before putting on the eyelids.

I'm not sure what color car you have, but accents that pair up with your car color would be good looking..aggressive but good looking. If you have a white/black/silver color then from all the pics I've seen black IMO looks the best. However, if your car is white/black/silver and you use for colored rims or color your badges/emblems that accent color to match may look really good too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely understand what you're talking about as far as being confused and wary to do this. Because let's be honest, messing up while doing this, is fairly costly. However, Im sure we've been through the same walk-throughs and tutorials. The biggest thing is really just attention to detail. You can look at tutorials all day long, but once you get down to it, it's fairly self explanatory.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as my 3, it is the Jet Black. The only things that you should obviously never paint are the projector housings themselves **obviously!** everything else is paintable. On my speed3, I did all of the chrome, including high beams.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'd love to paint mine matte black with reflective black accents like the blue ring that keeps throwing me off lol. My problem with that much black is I'm too OCD and I know I'd need to do the tailights too...not fun/barely possible. So I'm leaning towards staying minimal and only painting accents. I hate the idea of removing the bumper but maybe I can just pull it apart a little to get headlights out. Thanks feeling a bit more confident in tackling this.

Jet Black would obviously look great with blacked out headlights. If you do go with an additional trim color you've chosen for other future upgrades then that color may be worth considering. You can always do blacked out with colored accents. I've seen it (as I'm sure you have) and it looks really nice.

·
Revolution Member
556 Posts
Blacked out looks best in my opinion. Now the question is, what kind of black? You have the following options:

1. Glossy black
2. Semi- gloss black
3. Satin black
4. Matte black
5. Flat black

I would opt for the satin black and throw in some metallic flakes on top, specifically silver to give it that glistening tons of bits and pieces of broken glass look on the satin black background.

Good luck with your decision, at the end of the day your car...so whatever makes you happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts