2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got some free time at school on tuesdays between my classes (which I use to find car parts :banana 1:). So, I got to looking once more around for clutches for my car (has a tendency to break every 8k miles), and I found something from summitracing: Zoom Performance Products F2-124 - Zoom Sport Compact Stage 2 Clutch Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

It is a stage 2 clutch from Zoom Performance, and I have never heard of them, so... Main question is, what else would I need to buy and have installed if I buy this? :blink 1:

I'm just getting myself prepared for the breakdown in 3k miles :yes:

Thanks.

Note: Any thoughts what so ever on the matter and links etc. would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This clutch is for a 1993-1997 Ford Probe and a 1993-1997 Mazda MX-6 2.5L V-6
This will not work on a 2010+ Mazda 3 2.5 I-4 Engine

Clutch Usage Street/Strip
Make FORD
Model PROBE
Submodel GT
Beginning Year 1993
Ending Year 1997
Engine Type V6
Liter 2.5
CID 152
CC 2450
Engine Size 2.5L/152
Engine Family Mazda V6

Make MAZDA
Model MX-6
Submodel LS
Beginning Year 1993
Ending Year 1997
Engine Type V6
Liter 2.5
CC 2497
Engine Size 2.5L/2497cc
Engine Family Mazda V6

·
Registered
296 Posts
A newer car (2010+) should be a long ways off from needing a new clutch. Doesn't hurt to be prepared, but it will probably sit around in your garage for a long long time. I have 125xxx miles on the original clutch (and it still works fine) and the car is autocrossed regularly.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dude, I am on my 3rd clutch and 1 new flywheel :argh 1:!!! It makes me mad! I drove a VW jetta 1.8T 5-speed over 50k miles no problem (the car I learnt how to drive a stick). So, I have roughly 3.5k miles before this clutch goes again, it was slipping this morning on the way to school. It tends to break after about 8k miles.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:sad 1:
This clutch is for a 1993-1997 Ford Probe and a 1993-1997 Mazda MX-6 2.5L V-6
This will not work on a 2010+ Mazda 3 2.5 I-4 Engine

Make FORD
Model PROBE
Submodel GT
Beginning Year 1993
Ending Year 1997
Engine Type V6
Liter 2.5
CID 152
CC 2450
Engine Size 2.5L/152
Engine Family Mazda V6

Make MAZDA
Model MX-6
Submodel LS
Beginning Year 1993
Ending Year 1997
Engine Type V6
Liter 2.5
CC 2497
Engine Size 2.5L/2497cc
Engine Family Mazda V6
Thanks, was hopeing that it would be for the 2.5l in my 2010 :sad 1:

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're going through clutches every 8K miles something is majorly wrong. I go longer than that between oil changes. You must be doing something to prematurely wear the clutch (like resting your foot on the clutch pedal while drivng?)

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you're going through clutches every 8K miles something is majorly wrong. I go longer than that between oil changes. You must be doing something to prematurely wear the clutch (like resting your foot on the clutch pedal while drivng?)
The 2nd gen's are notorious for clutch problems. Some of them have just had their clutch grenade in a few thousand miles. Mazda made an oppsie!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, mine grenaded after 7944 miles the first time along with transmission, and a second time at 16,6xx miles, and now slipping at 20,6xx miles.

The good news is that I have sent emails to AdvanceClutch.com, Clutchmasters (sp?), and EXEDY. In which, I got a responce from AdvanceClutch.com regarding a stage 2 clutch and flywheel, and it would be the end of the year or first quarter of next year. I am egerly waiting for responces from the other 2 as well.

Also, I would like to see how many people would want a stage 2 clutch (street performance) along with a lightweight flywheel.

Just +1 if you would like one as well so that I can make a note and give an exact count to them, so that they can hurry up.

·
Registered
655 Posts
isn't the stock clutch warrantied? if so i'd just let them change them till its up and then get the new clutch.

·
Registered
641 Posts
^^^ its mazda, im sure they will find a way to make you pay for it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That's terrible! Wonder how the 2010+ Speeds' clutches are doing? Zoom clutches are also sold by NAPA by the way.

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
That's terrible! Wonder how the 2010+ Speeds' clutches are doing? Zoom clutches are also sold by NAPA by the way.
Holding steady here

·
Use the Search Button!
746 Posts
isn't the stock clutch warrantied? if so i'd just let them change them till its up and then get the new clutch.
Not after a few thousand miles.
There was another clutch horror story on m247
Basically they ran into the same issue of the clutch going out early. Dealer charged the cust full cost of teardown, parts, etc. Mazda corp didn't offer any help.

Like Neggert said, the gen 2 clutches are notorious for this problem.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, the clutch is only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, due to it being a wearable item :argh 1:

So far, Clutchmasters has answered as well with pretty much a years wait time :sad 1:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It must have crossed your mind, that at this point it isn't the clutch. I mean I have the same clutch as you, countless other members do too (obviously). Other than you x3 and one other (that I know of), people haven't really had any true problems. I am not blaming you by a long shot, I just think it is silly that you are on your 3rd clutch and all you have done is taken it to Mazda.

You must have a transmission shop in your city. I mean clearly there is something defective, but it's not the clutch. Yes it is the clutch wearing out due to whatever the defect is, but if you do a quick google search you will find information that talks about other defective parts that can lead to a premature clutch failure.

So why not take it to a dedicated trans shop? That way you will find out what the real problem is. Because this is an open bet, if you put an aftermarket clutch in, it is going to wear out prematurely as well.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Put me down for wanting a clutch! I've been searching my ass off looking for some. Although I have had zero clutch issues in my 3. I'm at 7600 miles and I've run her pretty damn hard. Maybe they changed something for the 2011's

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It must have crossed your mind, that at this point it isn't the clutch. I mean I have the same clutch as you, countless other members do too (obviously). Other than you x3 and one other (that I know of), people haven't really had any true problems. I am not blaming you by a long shot, I just think it is silly that you are on your 3rd clutch and all you have done is taken it to Mazda.

You must have a transmission shop in your city. I mean clearly there is something defective, but it's not the clutch. Yes it is the clutch wearing out due to whatever the defect is, but if you do a quick google search you will find information that talks about other defective parts that can lead to a premature clutch failure.

So why not take it to a dedicated trans shop? That way you will find out what the real problem is. Because this is an open bet, if you put an aftermarket clutch in, it is going to wear out prematurely as well.
Thanks wing, never thought of taking it to a transmission shop and have it checked. Its like all the other people that I have had to explain myself to, this is not my first manual either, I drove a VW Jetta 1.8T 5-speed for about 54k miles no problem (that was the car I learned how to drive a manual in as well).

I am going to try to swing by a place here close to my house next chance I get. How long roughly does it take to take it out and check the transmission/clutch area??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did anyone ever find out if the gen 1 clutches fit our cars? I thought the flywheels, etc. were the same.. :001_huh:
This I am not sure of, but I do know that the speed clutch does not fit our cars, and neither does the flywheel.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Thanks wing, never thought of taking it to a transmission shop and have it checked. Its like all the other people that I have had to explain myself to, this is not my first manual either, I drove a VW Jetta 1.8T 5-speed for about 54k miles no problem (that was the car I learned how to drive a manual in as well).

I am going to try to swing by a place here close to my house next chance I get. How long roughly does it take to take it out and check the transmission/clutch area??
That's the shitty thing about tranny jobs, they do have to open it up and have a look at things. So you will be paying a couple hours just to have it looked at. And don't take "nothing is wrong" for an answer. I mean this is the first manual I have had since my first car in 1996, and knock on wood my clutch is holding. Too bad you didn't live in my city, we have a renowned trans shop here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts