2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2017 Mazda 3 5door Touring.
Is there a way to roll down the windows without turnin on the ignition? By that I mean pressing the start button twice without holding the brake pedal.
When I do that I can hear what i presume to be the fuel pump coming on. Is there a less invasive way of rolling down the windows?

I come from an old very basic car with none of these gadgets n gizmos my new mazda has.
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,336 Posts
Sorry, but there is no other way to make the windows work. The engine needs to be on or you need to have the electronics on in the car for the windows to receive power.
CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but there is no other way to make the windows work. The engine needs to be on or you need to have the electronics on in the car for the windows to receive power.
CK
Well that's just dumb. I was reading something about the Mazda 6 being able to roll down the windows by holding the unlock button on the key fob? Nothing like that on the 3 hm? Weaksauce.

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Have you never driven a late model car? Even my old truck (2001 Ford) needs to have the power on to open or close the windows. Pushing the button twice is no different than having to turn the key to the on position.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think you can open and close the windows and other things by hitting the start button twice (without clutch in or AT in a gear that would cause engine to start). This is the way I get things to work without starting the engine. Just don't remember off hand whether I've tried the windows.

On our Miata, I even raise and lower the top by turning on the ignition switch (it's keyless but not as "smart" as the one on the 3) without starting the engine. The windows work, too.

Ralph

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
I know what you're talking about and no, it's not possible on our 3. My old 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI had a feature where you could hold the lock or unlock on the FOB to roll the windows up or down respectively without needing to have the key in the ignition. Same with putting the key inside the door lock and holding it in the lock or unlock position to roll them up or down. Was a handy tool to have and kind of show off to my friends back in high school.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Well that's just dumb. I was reading something about the Mazda 6 being able to roll down the windows by holding the unlock button on the key fob? Nothing like that on the 3 hm? Weaksauce.
oh i get what you're saying.

i wish they had the function like my old bmw where if you hold the unlock button on either the key fob or the door handles, you'll be able to roll down the windows and sunroof. and the windows up and closed with the lock. maybe someone might be able to code it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well he is not wrong, some cars (not mazdas) you can hit the unlock button followed by holding it down and the windows will roll down. This is more used to air the car out as you walk to it.
My 2001 beemer had it, my wifes old 2004 Accord had it and many other cars have it. Mazda was too busy saving weight to even offer one touch roll down for all the windows.

I do think someone on here installed an aftermarket alarm with remote start and could do the window thing though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seeing as the windows can be rolled up or down after you turn the car off but before opening the door leads me to believe its quite possible to have this feature without having to turn the ignition on. Really miss the "ACC" accessory function on my old flinstones car.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The manual goes to acc if you don't hit the clutch :p

Yes this has always annoyed me too. With my old 2004 accent I swapped out the crank windows for power ones. I wired them directly into the ignition just so I could open or close them at any time. It was kinda nice.

·
Registered
510 Posts
my wifes old 2004 Accord had it and many other cars have it.

i never knew japanese cars had this feature. i'd always assume it was a european thing. especially on my old beemer (e90) and my friend's w211 e class. i know that in the bmw, merc forums there's always some talk on the hidden features in the key. and especially with the newer beemers F80 and such, you can code the keys to do specific commands like fold mirror while locking/unlocking doors.

This leads me to believe that if someone had the time, and coding knowledge, to which i do no possess, the feature would be possible. although i'm not sure if it has to be a 'one touch' window down function to be present.. because the above cars like beemer and accord, i do believe has a one touch window down for all 4 windows..

·
Registered
297 Posts
Only by pressing the start button twice with your foot off the brake pedal....silly eh? Like, how hard would it have been to program the unlock button the remote to equal - windows down (long press) and lock button (long press) - windows close. Heck, my 2007 accord did that......

·
Registered
1 Posts
i never knew japanese cars had this feature. i'd always assume it was a european thing. especially on my old beemer (e90) and my friend's w211 e class. i know that in the bmw, merc forums there's always some talk on the hidden features in the key. and especially with the newer beemers F80 and such, you can code the keys to do specific commands like fold mirror while locking/unlocking doors.

This leads me to believe that if someone had the time, and coding knowledge, to which i do no possess, the feature would be possible. although i'm not sure if it has to be a 'one touch' window down function to be present.. because the above cars like beemer and accord, i do believe has a one touch window down for all 4 windows..
In my old card, an european Mazda 3 from 2006, I had this feature. With car locked, and outside, you pressed the unlock button more than 3 seconds, all the windows went down and the doors unlocked. And, again, outside, if you preseed the lock button, all the windows went up and doors locked.
I don't like that new Mazda 3 haven't this behaviour.:frown2:

Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2006 Mazda 6 has the auto-down feature in the remote.Very handy on a hot day to ventilate the car but also with a caveat.A few times the remote was pressed a second too long and the windows went down before a rain storm.The windows can also be lowered within 3 minutes of shutting the car off as long as no one opens a door.
Nothing like this on my 2017 M3 GT.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts