2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I updated the NAV maps before taking a trip to LA from SF last week. I noticed some things that have me curious.

The NAV was set to guide me to the hotel, but getting off the 405 it wanted me to take the eastern instead of western direction (which I did not do). It looked to wanted to loop around. I was thinking it was a glitch. Next day my wife was driving to the Getty Center right off the 405. She said the NAV was "erratic". It kept trying to run her off in wrong directions.

Next day I checked the settings and things looked different in terms of the options. I selected the Settings from the map and then the Traffic Settings. I saw the options "Use Historical Traffic Data" which I seem to remember. Below it was a setting just labeled "Traffic". I don't recall seeing that before. Both were set. There were also options labeled "Offer Detour" and "Auto Accept Detour" which I don't recall. They were not set. I unchecked the "Traffic" option and the directions seemed more like I'd expect. So what is the actual meaning of "Use Historical Traffic Data" and "Traffic"? Was it trying to keep us off the 405 (which was typically running about 10 mph)?

I also looked into the Guidance settings. I found a lot of choices which seems like more than I remember from before. On the drive back to SF, it routed me up the east side of the bay and over a toll bridge. I did not want this route. When I turned off the toll crossing option, it routed me in a better route. I compared them and the originally selected route was 9 miles longer, but one minute faster with 200 miles to go. Later, I again found that it had me routed on a less desirable freeway. I had turned the "Traffic" option back on before the drive back. I went to the guidance settings and just changed something innocuous to force a recalculation which then routed me on the appropriate route. I am suspecting that when I did the recalculation, the traffic had improved on the more appropriate route. But then I don't really know if the system is that capable.

I'm attaching photos of these settings. Are these different than the prior version? Or is it all just my imagination that it's changed. I was thinking about restoring one of my backup SD cards to the previous version to compare, but I thought I'd check here first.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
That traffic option you mentioned is live traffic here in EU but you need an active subscription to mazda online services. It needs constant wifi connection. Maybe that option means something else in NA. Here is how it looks when it's activated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think anything changed with the Traffic settings, there's another screen full of grayed-out options related to live traffic data which hasn't been available in several years in NA...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think anything changed with the Traffic settings, there's another screen full of grayed-out options related to live traffic data which hasn't been available in several years in NA...
I just dug up the document on the NAV system. Things are actually pretty much the same, but for one thing. On my Traffic Settings menu, the second item is labeled Traffic but in the document it is Online Traffic and is documented as "Use this switch to enable or disable receiving real-time traffic information online. The rest of the buttons below are all related to this real-time information and are available only if receiving is enabled. You can also define whether to receive online traffic only when connected to a WiFi network." I don't have WiFi (nor do I think it is possible on my system), but if I select the Traffic item I am allowed access to the Detour options below. I don't recall this ever being available before. If I enable Traffic, just what real-time traffic information can I get. I had always assumed I could get nothing online (except the historical data).

I have another theory now as to why the NAV seemed to work better when I turned off the Traffic menu item. The day it was routing weirdly was Friday and the day I changed it was Saturday. Perhaps it was just the historical data which caused it to behave so differently and had nothing to do with turning off the Traffic selection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're exactly right that there is no real-time traffic in NA through the nav system (since the HD traffic map is completely separate) - that was removed a while back, and it did rely on you using a wifi hotspot on your phone to let the nav system download live traffic data. I have observed historical traffic data cause rerouting on occasion, mostly on weekends.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've got live traffic in my nav now... it suggests re-routes in the nav... the traffic maps are FM transmited no wifi required.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah Ottawa, Ontario, Canada... I also had this in a Pionner nav deck with an add on... pretty sure Mazda is using the same traffic info source which is Clear Channel Broadcasting Inc.

Coverage showing here... RDS TMC Coverage Maps
I'm located in Toronto and I don't see any FM station being available in the HD Traffic app. Question, what version of the CMU software are you on? I have the latest updated Feb 2018 Nav maps yet the only thing I see in the settings is the option to turn on and off historical traffic data, and the next one down which is traffic.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the latest updated Feb 2018 Nav maps yet the only thing I see in the settings is the option to turn on and off historical traffic data, and the next one down which is traffic.
On mine, below the Traffic Option I have Offer Detour, Auto Accept Detour and Detour Sensitivity options. Do you not have those visible, or are they grayed out?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ah yes I do now. I don't know why for some reason I couldn't see the HD traffic map in the app and those other options weren't available. Today on my way out in the morning to go shopping those options were visible and now finally the HD Traffic Map is showing too. I guess the Traffic map data is finally available in T.O. I checked the FM HD channel's broadcaster by calling them and they said they implemented every 20 min updates to the data which is probably the reason it wasn't showing properly if the software was looking for certain key identifiers in the transmitted data.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm located in Toronto and I don't see any FM station being available in the HD Traffic app. Question, what version of the CMU software are you on? I have the latest updated Feb 2018 Nav maps yet the only thing I see in the settings is the option to turn on and off historical traffic data, and the next one down which is traffic.
Mines running 59.00.441 NA N

From your last post looks like your is working :thumbup 1:

·
Registered
32 Posts
What stock stereo unit do you have? Bose or the standard?

When you’re seeing traffic have you put in a destination or are you just seeing traffic at any time?

I have the stock audio unit, running nav, in the north end of Toronto and don’t see traffic. I see HD radio but no settings for FM receiver

·
Registered
569 Posts
Bruno, I did my semi annual update on my Nav a couple of weeks ago for my 2017 3 hatch GT (US). All the screens you posted were there previously v. 59.00.330 as I do use them. However, as you point out, I did notice the driving directions were a bit erratic and all over the place here on the east coast for a day or two after the update. They seemed to have settled down now as I do quite frequently use the system whether I need it or not just to see how it is functioning compared to real time conditions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bruno, I did my semi annual update on my Nav a couple of weeks ago for my 2017 3 hatch GT (US). All the screens you posted were there previously v. 59.00.330 as I do use them. However, as you point out, I did notice the driving directions were a bit erratic and all over the place here on the east coast for a day or two after the update. They seemed to have settled down now as I do quite frequently use the system whether I need it or not just to see how it is functioning compared to real time conditions.
Under the Traffic settings, I only recalled seeing the option to use historical traffic data in the past although in looking at the manual I see the other options listed (albeit with a difference related to WiFi usage) for detours. I've enable them to see what may happen.

Also, I have noticed a change in the way it routes me on one of my common routes. I used to take a different freeway from the one I was directed to, but now it seems to go the way I like. Traffic related? or just data related? I don't know.

BTW, I'm still on version 55 of the system.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can anyone advise on my below questions? Thanks.

When you’re seeing traffic have you put in a destination or are you just seeing traffic at any time?

I have the stock audio unit, running nav, in the north end of Toronto and don’t see traffic. I see HD radio but no settings for FM receiver

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bose

I don't understand the question. What do you mean by "seeing traffic"?

Where are you seeing the settings you refer to?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts