2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi....For your Info!
I have noticed on a number of 2010 & 2011 model year Mazda 3 have an issue with the AC condenser radiator.
On each car that I have viewed, the condenser radiator has damage to the cooling fins on the lower portion.

The damage is due to fact that the grill openings are soo large in this area. There is no deflector fitted to prevent any road debris, bugs, rock salt, ice rain or even heavy rain etc... from impacting into/onto the lower portion of the condenser fins. Most cars I have seen of other manufacturers have deflectors fitted to prevent damage to the cooling rads

I am curious if anyone has had to replace the AC condenser radiator prematurely due to a loss of refrigerant.
In my case (and in other Mazda 3 vehicles I have seen), the efficiency of the AC condenser has been compromised. There is at least a 25% loss in cooling capacity .

The pictures are of a 2010 Mazda 3 AC condenser Radiator that is just over 2 years old
:sad 1:

Attachments

·
Silver Demon
837 Posts
Mine is just over 2 years old now........I better check mine...damn!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should mention that my AC is still working... But of course, there is no real demand for it this time of year in Nova Scotia Canada, other than when I use the defroster & the outside ambient temperature allows the AC compressor to clutch in.
I will have to see how my AC work this summer....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perfect!! My 2010 Mazda 3 has had hot heat with no control (bought brand new) with coolant smell after "repair". The BBB Auto LIne ruled in my favor at the arbitration hearing over the heat issue but Mazda did not fixed on the repair ordered. The Mazda engineer at the hearing admitted they had experienced A/C issues (as did the dealer service manager) with the Mazda 3's having A/C problems but not heating. Now I have uncontrollable hot heat and have the joy of possibily losing my A/C...my second Mazda 3..NEVER AGAIN EVER EVER!!! And all while still under full factory warranty.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you are worried for 1 pick up a fin straightener for a few bucks...2 stop by home depot and pick up some stainless mesh gutter guard or the black plastic mesh from home depot/lowes.

Amazon.com: Mountain 8300 AC Condenser Fin Comb: Automotive

many cars have this issue and some much worse then the 3. i've got a ton of debris and bent fins on my 3 with just about 60k on her but i'm not worried. i'd be more worried about a rock going through it then anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2/8/2019 So, I have a 2019 Mazda CX3. Have had it for less than 3 months. Turned on the a/c for the first time
this week and it did not cool. Took it in to dealer. They said a rock hit condenser & it will cost $812 to replace, etc.
This is NOT covered under the warranty. Had to use my insurance & pay $250 deductible. The whole situation is
ridiculous. This is a brand new vehicle.....I have not been driving it through the woods or down dirt roads! Makes
me question the quality of the vehicle. And my concern is that this is the beginning of a bad car relationship. We
will [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi....For your Info!
I have noticed on a number of 2010 & 2011 model year Mazda 3 have an issue with the AC condenser radiator.
On each car that I have viewed, the condenser radiator has damage to the cooling fins on the lower portion.

The damage is due to fact that the grill openings are soo large in this area. There is no deflector fitted to prevent any road debris, bugs, rock salt, ice rain or even heavy rain etc... from impacting into/onto the lower portion of the condenser fins. Most cars I have seen of other manufacturers have deflectors fitted to prevent damage to the cooling rads

I am curious if anyone has had to replace the AC condenser radiator prematurely due to a loss of refrigerant.
In my case (and in other Mazda 3 vehicles I have seen), the efficiency of the AC condenser has been compromised. There is at least a 25% loss in cooling capacity .

The pictures are of a 2010 Mazda 3 AC condenser Radiator that is just over 2 years old
:sad 1:
I'm dealing with something like this right now with my 2016 Mazda 3. I am presently in contact with Mazda in Irvine and the dealership in Carlsbad about this issue. I'm looking to spend over $1000.00 for a new condenser for a three year old car. Does anyone know if there is a retrofitted deflector for these vehicles? Yes, I can fix this now, but will go through this again in three years. Not happy!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue in my Mazda 3 2017 model (Switched on my AC for first time and it wasn't working) - I will be spending like 1000 dollars. No accident nothing ….has been driving in and around Toronto and Mazda Service center say its condenser damage. They will replace condenser but there is no guarantee because deflector is not part of the design. Will not recommend anyone to buy Mazda cars as there is major design issue. I am feeling cheated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts