2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
New Guy
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously need to perform an exorcism on my 3, I have been chasing problems for some time now (new suspension, and front hubs).

Hopefully I am on my final ghost, the dragging rear brake. After examination, the rotor is free turning for about a quarter of a turn and drags moderately on the other three quarters, meaning that the caliper is not at fault and a bearing has not went out. Leaving the only culprit to be the rotor being warped.

Is my logic correct?

And to jump in front of this now, there is no pulsing, shaking, or wobbling of the brakes and/or car, just a mild to moderate dragging sound produced from the left rear wheel as it turns. It is not a typical howling sound and there is no play in the hub from the 3 to 9 or 12 to 6 positions when shaking it.

·
New Guy
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The brake is fully disengaged, only the left rear drags, and only halfway through the tires revolution. Additionally, there is none of the typical wheel bearing sounds in the rear end aka grinding, whirring, etc. This suggests that rotor is deformed.

·
New Guy
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had thought about doing that, but the crooks (i mean mechanics) up here in Chicago charge for flipping everything. One wanted to charge me a $50 dollar lift fee for the "free inspection" that was offered outside the store.

The entire brake kit from brake performance was only 230 for the entire car. I know some people aren't fans of theirs, but for the driving that I am intending on doing they are adequate replacements. Realistically, that kit will cover half of the parts that could have caused that dragging problem. The others don't seem like likely culprits (if the wheel bearing seized it wouldn't turn freely for a half turn in exactly the same spot, and if the slides on the caliper were damaged then the brakes would drag evenly throughout (In other words, the caliper would have to move side to side in a uniform pattern and interval or there would have to be a deformity in the rotor).

·
New Guy
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recently a service recall was mentioned for that, look around and will find it.

Probably what is causing it. My Vin isn't on the safety recall list though. Not sure how to fix all that.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer for warranty work and point out the recall and say yours seems to be having the same or similar problem. Let them figure it out, or at least put your car on record for having a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts