2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I don't know if this has been covered in a previous post or not. I installed factory mud flaps on my 2016 3i (I went with factory as they are easy to install and the hole and screws etc are already there) But upon pulling back the front wheel well flaps during installation I discovered a whole lot of leaves and just muck behind them. I realized this is where the water and stuff from the lower windshield area comes down through the body of the car. My thought was, woah, this could be a big area for rust to start. Hence the subject of this discussion. I recommend checking behind the flaps once in a while and giving the area a good cleaning.
Now to check my other cars...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Good find. This is a common problem with many cars. My first car had fancy mud flaps on the rear that were made to look like they're part of the car body. Problem is they're plastic molded a little like buckets. There were drains, but far too small. Result was they would collect an obscene amount of dirt and crap. After that, the wheel wells would start to rust out.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've found the suspension components are poor quality and start showing significant rust after a short period

·
Registered
130 Posts
See this with a lot of cars but don't see most of them rusting out before they get junked for other reasons.

If it bothers you, just scrape it out when you do a tire rotation or some other maintenance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've found the suspension components are poor quality and start showing significant rust after a short period
I keep my car garaged year-round, and we get maybe 2-3 days of snow a year... after only 11K miles, I went under the car to do some suspension upgrades and could see the metal around the bushings start to show 'rust-like' colors. I can only hope it's not actual rust.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Its just a bit of surface rust for gods sake. Every car that has been driven in the real world is like that. Its not a problem.
This is very true. In a perfect world our cars would not have a spot of rust until they go to the junkyard. Perfect world this is not.

I'm of the mind that it's generally a good idea to take reasonable measures to prevent rust, but at the same time I know it's going to happen and that's ok. I undercaot, clear paint my exhaust with clear header paint, that sort of thing.

With rust on items such as suspension, it's perfectly normal with any car and not a sign of bad quality. Provided it's limited amounts of course. In fact, a thin coat of rust can seal the surface and help slow down future corrosion. Think of a copper roof. It quickly oxidizes and turns green. The copper under that green corrosion doesn't really go much further.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Actually polished aluminum has aluminum oxide on top of the surface and that oxide is not apparent to the naked eye.. It oxidizes just as soon as the surface is cut. However, the "volume factor" betwwen substrate and base metal is near 1.0... so the oxide is protective. It does not spall off, get moisture under its surface. Steel and its oxide... not so much. The oxide is more voluminous that the sustrate. The iron oxide is not protective. Having said this some steels and grey cast iron and cast nodular iron do appear to have stable oxides; corrosion is not rampant. And then there are Toyota Tacoma frames. And 2nd Gen. Mazda6 frt and rear subframes. For whatever inexplicable reason corrosion is like a cancer for those. Possible dirty steel-making, ida know... Only thing to do is prime and paint them really well when new. The Mfr should do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts