2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for air compressor but most of them state 12-15A, Mz3 cigaret lighter is 10A per manual. I don't want to get an adapter to run directly from battery. Can anyone suggest affordable air compressor I could run from cigaret lighter without blowing fuse?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't think the normal 12v air compressors are a problem. I used one the other day. The manual says 12v, 10a but the units I see advertised are all 12v. I never paid attention to the amperage.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1432037096.605502.jpg

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks for this. Now I need to check my air compressor.
Most likely what will happen when you run a higher amperage compressor is that it will use less power for a bit until the pressure gets up and the compressor has to work a little harder at which point it starts to heat up the wires and the fuse in the fusebox. If the volume of air in the tires is pretty low along with the required pressure then the fuse will never heat up enough to blow. However, if you are pumping up something like a high pressure bike tire you will be running that compressor at full load and it will likely blow the fuse by the time you get through the second tire.

Also a consequence of smaller wires is that not enough amperage will get through the wires especially under load which will result in the compressor not working as well as it should and even possibly causing early failure of the compressor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most likely what will happen when you run a higher amperage compressor is that it will use less power for a bit until the pressure gets up and the compressor has to work a little harder at which point it starts to heat up the wires and the fuse in the fusebox. If the volume of air in the tires is pretty low along with the required pressure then the fuse will never heat up enough to blow. However, if you are pumping up something like a high pressure bike tire you will be running that compressor at full load and it will likely blow the fuse by the time you get through the second tire.

Also a consequence of smaller wires is that not enough amperage will get through the wires especially under load which will result in the compressor not working as well as it should and even possibly causing early failure of the compressor.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for an update. I found the exact one on Amazon, someone posted pictures of melted device. Probably got to be careful not to overheat it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for an update. I found the exact one on Amazon, someone posted pictures of melted device. Probably got to be careful not to overheat it.

The manual says it's for occasional use and should not to be used for extended periods (up to 15 minutes) or it will overheat. If it does overheat, you are supposed to let it cool down for 30 minutes.

I'm not worried about it and it's better than nothing in an emergency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts