2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm managing to get only 23mpg in city driving. mine is a 2.5L 6spd. On an aggressive driving scale I would say I drive a 7 or 8. I still expected better gas mileage. There are 300hp V6s that are giving 21mpg so to be getting such low mpg in a SkyActiv is surprising.

For comparison, I have a 5spd 2.4L 4cyl '04 Nissan Frontier XE which I drive equally aggressively in terms of shifting and I consistently get the same mileage 23mpg city, which puzzles me because it's curb weight is 4000 lbs and it's a truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive noticed that the with highway driving i can get upwards of 600km per tank . but city driving im lucky to get 475. I drive heavy too

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
700 Posts
I've found my new Mazda 3 2.0 very economical but I don't drive like a maniac.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can't speak for the 2.5 but I'd be a little peeved if my 2.0 got that. Even driving extremely spiritedly I've never seen below 30 MPG. Mines also the 6-speed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
With 550 miles on the odometer, I saw 29mpg first fill up and 27mpg on the second, mostly city lower speed driving. I am sure the numbers will increase as the engine breaks in. Still much better than the 21 mpg on premium for my previous car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm managing to get only 23mpg in city driving. mine is a 2.5L 6spd. On an aggressive driving scale I would say I drive a 7 or 8. I still expected better gas mileage. There are 300hp V6s that are giving 21mpg so to be getting such low mpg in a SkyActiv is surprising.

For comparison, I have a 5spd 2.4L 4cyl '04 Nissan Frontier XE which I drive equally aggressively in terms of shifting and I consistently get the same mileage 23mpg city, which puzzles me because it's curb weight is 4000 lbs and it's a truck.
That's a little low. I almost exclusively drive back roads and i definitely get better MPG on back roads than highway. City (Like NYC) i can see that being normal though, not moving yet using gas.

When i m heavy footed i get around 25-27, but back roads driving modestly i average ~33mpg.

My personal best:

Factors that may effect your MPG is the quality of gas, sport mode on/off, altitude driven. MPG may/will get better as you add on mileage if the car is new.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
When getting 23mpg, is that the mpg you got for that trip or overall average for that tank of gas? How many miles did you drive aggressively for? Honestly, your city mpg for the 2.5 sounds about right. Depending on the distance I drive, I get about 25-30 mpg when driving normally and about 15-25 when driving more aggressively. I get worse when there's hills. I don't drive too aggressively too often tho, I'm averaging 29-32mpg per tank with a mix of city and highway driving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats to be expected. I get 20-22 in city-only commutes in the bay area with tons of red lights and traffic in the evenings/early mornings. My 2015 Honda FIt got 24-26 mpg and that was rated at 33mpg city.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got the same 22.8mpg on my latest fill. I notice that the car is always telling me to upshift... traffic patterns means it's not that possible to upshift as often, i'm constantly in traffic that speeds up and slows down very often so I just stay in the lower gear if I know I have to downshift in 5-7 secs to prevent constant up/down but I guess that is what I will try next to see if mpg goes up. I did get 35+mpg when I went to Vegas a few weeks after I bought the car so long distance seems promising.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
When I had the 2.5L I-Eloop I used to drive at a 7 pretty consistently, but like a 3 when on the highway. I averaged just under 37 overall when I sold it. Although I drove fairly aggressively, I tend to be very aware of the road ahead and never speed up to red lights only to brake. I think coasting when you can makes a huge difference. What you do in between the spirited driving makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my most recent fill I did a highway run with a 20% mix of city driving and got 31 mpg. overall. Looks like mpg numbers are highly biased against city driving i.e. the city mpg is quite a bit lower than advertised and the highway mpg is more spot on to advertised.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you are constantly ignoring the upshift light, try a tank where you try to follow it. Basically the upshift light tells you you can get the same power to wheels as you are getting, but with the engine operating at a more efficient speed and load (without lugging it).

Dave

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you are constantly ignoring the upshift light, try a tank where you try to follow it. Basically the upshift light tells you you can get the same power to wheels as you are getting, but with the engine operating at a more efficient speed and load (without lugging it).

Dave
There's a good bit of opportunity here. I tend to ignore the shift indicator and see 4k rpm fairly routinely. I tend to get 24-25 mpg in largely city driving with a little idle time in my 6MT S GT 5 door. I did spend a recent tank shifting around 2.5k rpm and trying to keep the upshift indicator from coming on. I got 27.5 mpg, albeit with a little less time spent idling. Still, for 18 years of driving a manual, it seems like I could eek a little mileage out if I was willing to have a little less fun. But I'm not, so I'm getting 23.2 mpg on this tank with a frequently lit shift indicator. Oh well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There's a good bit of opportunity here. I tend to ignore the shift indicator and see 4k rpm fairly routinely. I tend to get 24-25 mpg in largely city driving with a little idle time in my 6MT S GT 5 door. I did spend a recent tank shifting around 2.5k rpm and trying to keep the upshift indicator from coming on. I got 27.5 mpg, albeit with a little less time spent idling. Still, for 18 years of driving a manual, it seems like I could eek a little mileage out if I was willing to have a little less fun. But I'm not, so I'm getting 23.2 mpg on this tank with a frequently lit shift indicator. Oh well.
If you look at a graph of an engine's Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) you will see that high engine speed and low engine load is the worst area of fuel consumption. Generally worse than full power. You don't want to drive there if you can avoid it.

Dave

·
Registered
353 Posts
Today, I fueled up the 3 with 2.5 and got a little over 34 mpg. My wife is mostly driving it, and she does a lot more stops that I normally do. We live out of town and drive a lot of roads for 3-4 miles with no stop signs or lights and at 35-45 mph. When I was driving it with her, it was getting 36-37 mpg, and that's what it gets on interstate driving trips over the WVa mountains to Ohio.

This car will run, like a Bimmer 3, and actually feels like one of the older BWM 3s, better than the new ones. If you drive it with lots of gusto, it'll suck the fuel.

Ralph

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have the 2.0 petrol and I can normally shift up well before 2000rpm as shown by the shift indicator unless going up hill. If you are changing gear at 4000rpm then don't expect good economy! I get 43mpg (UK) / 36mpg (US) in local driving and 51mpg (UK) / 42mpg (US) on a long distance trip which I'm quite happy with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Man, I do mostly city driving (85% city // 15% highway) and on average I get about 22mpg with the 2.0L gas engine, but I also tend to upshift around 4k-5k rpm a lot of the time in the city, so I'm not surprised in the least. I averaged 33mpg doing a steady 85-90mph on the 5hr drive down the 10 back from LA a few months ago though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts