2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mazda Fresher
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at swapping out the OEM hangers with fancy blue ones made of polyurethane compound. Partially because they are blue (neat!) and partially because in the back of my mind poly = performance (misguided likely).

But that brings up the real questions:

- Is there any advantage to running these besides bling factor?

- Does this help decrease or actually increase cabin vibrations?

Just looking for everyone's experiences and opinions.

TIA!

·
Registered
99 Posts
"Is there any advantage to running these besides bling factor? "

Nope. They stiffen suspension components, but the muffler is just suspended to be isolated from the rest of the vehicle. If your rubber hangers were rotting off all the time, these would be an upgrade, but outside of that I can't see any reason to upgrade such an insignificant part.

·
Super Moderator
4,955 Posts
"Is there any advantage to running these besides bling factor? "

Nope. They stiffen suspension components, but the muffler is just suspended to be isolated from the rest of the vehicle. If your rubber hangers were rotting off all the time, these would be an upgrade, but outside of that I can't see any reason to upgrade such an insignificant part.
This. If your hangers are not degraded its not really worth the effort or cost. Older cars with stretched and worn hangers would be a different issue, or if you are replacing the exhaust system.
As to NVH, yes, they are stiffer and do tend to pass more vibration into the cabin.

·
Mazda Fresher
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I didn't really think they would be an "upgrade". Mostly just like putting LEDs in place of old bulbs, it's a style change more than anything. For all those people who love crawling under your car to see them right? ;)

I do appreciate the feedback about NVH. I was on the fence if the vibration harmonics from an already noisy aftermarket system would get better (because it's vibrating in more narrow oscillations) or worse (because it's transmitting more of that vibration directly to the body). Guess I have my answer.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I got the CS polyurethane hangers for my Ultimate Racing exhaust. Reason being.. I saw a Honda S2000 that had an exhaust installed and the tips of the exhaust were bobbing up and down as he went over bumps. I'm just guessing here, but he probably had stretched out OEM rubber hangers.

I don't have to worry about that happening with the CS hangers installed. They should keep things where they belong.
CK

·
Mazda Fresher
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the CS polyurethane hangers for my Ultimate Racing exhaust. Reason being.. I saw a Honda S2000 that had an exhaust installed and the tips of the exhaust were bobbing up and down as he went over bumps. I'm just guessing here, but he probably had stretched out OEM rubber hangers.

I don't have to worry about that happening with the CS hangers installed. They should keep things where they belong.
CK
Plus they look pretty 🙃

You notice a difference in NVH after you did so?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not that this hasn’t been answered pretty thoroughly already but on my last car (2004 6) the aftermarket exhaust was so close to the cutouts in the back, without the CS hangers it would move enough to hit and/or vibrate against it. Real annoying. These solved that right up.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
No difference in NVH. The UR exhaust only uses 2 hangers though. That was another reason I went with the CS polyurethane exhaust hangers as I don't think the OEM hangers would have been up for the task.
CK

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my old track miata I thought the same thing...I eventually went back to new factory rubber hangers. It wasn't the NVH that was the issue for me.

What's wrong wit PU exhaust hangers is they usually have a very tight fit on the exhaust hangers. Why is this bad? Because any time you have to take off the exhaust from now on, you have made getting the exhaust off a big hassle. Poly also tends to split instead of give. I eventually got a regimen to remove them easy using c-clamps and pieces of pipe, but it was a huge pain in the ass even getting to that point. The 3rd or 4th time I was taking off the exhaust, I split probably my 3rd hanger...and threw in the towel and went to all factory rubber again.

Removing the exhaust should be a very easy task. Don't make it suck for no gain. If your exhaust was slamming into things, then sure, but I would also say if that's the case, your exhaust is probably not routed well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts