2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car has been stalling, the AC shuts off randomly, the exterior frontlights dim during driving, the ABS light comes on and I lose power steering. It comes back within seconds. If you dont know what the fuse post is, take a look at your battery's positve terminal. That black rectangle on the side that the ring that goes around the battery is attached to, is your fuse post. There are two wires crimped onto the side of the post. One is the positive terminal wire. The other I DONT KNOW. Id like to know what it leads to because it has turned bluish gray in color (corrosion) at the exposed wire, and the PVC coating has melted and is snapping off easily.
I have a question. What does that.blown wire lead to? And can I add some.kind of extension to it so I can cut the burned out section off and recrimp the uncorroded wire to the fuse block and use an exntension to make it long enough to successfully fit onto the positive battery terminal?
Or is there some other place to attach that wire to so I can put a normal lead onto the positive battery cable that will fit the battery like every other vehicle on the road?? Heres some.pictures. The first picture shows the two wires crimped to the fuse post. The wire on the top is the one that idk what does and needs fixed. The other is the positive cable that leads to the starter motor and on other vehicles connects directly to the battery. The second pic is the top of the fuse post that leads to a ring that fits over the positive terminal.

Thank you for reading

Attachments

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Electrical tape. Then take to a mechanic.
CK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to know if anyone knows where the wire thats blown leads to, aa I dont have enough slack to cut, strip, and recrimp it to the fuse post without making the post too short to reach the battery terminal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because Id really like to get rid of the fuse post, attach the burned out wire to something else, and let my positive wire lead directly to the battery. Possible? Otherwise Ill need to extend that other wire.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You need a wiring diagram for your model. There used to be a sticky leading to free manuals on this site before it was upgraded. It's probably still here somewhere.
Might help folks that can assist you if you tell us your Mazda make and model .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a 2010 Mazda 3i F vin. Ive found some wiring diagrams but nothing I found made it clear what the burned out wire lead to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as why this happened, the car has 120K miles on the electrical and everything else except Ive replaced the engine at 90K.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As far as why this happened, the car has 120K miles on the electrical and everything else except Ive replaced the engine at 90K.
That doesn't explain much at all.

·
Registered
176 Posts
With the burnt wire physically disconnected from the battery so that it's electrically dead, list out the items that don't work. Then inspect each of these items for shorts or other damage. If you have a multimeter and know how to use it check the electrical supplies to each of these items and make sure they have some resistance to earth. Zero or very low resistance is a short in that item.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok. First, @darvetis thats because Idk how it happened. So 120k miles of wear and tear was an obvious guess bro. (??)
Finally The Repair: I went down to a junkyard and cut a fuse post off a 2011 2.5L Mazda 3, making sure to leave 6in of wire from each lead. Brought into a local mechanic who used that to swap it out with my fuse post & burnt out wire. She starts great now and have had no previous symptoms displayed as of yet. Will update if necessary.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for updating us and good work. Electrical stuff is best left to the pros, or, at the least, know one that you can buy a few beers so he makes sure you don't fry yourself while you work. :)
CK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts