2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a 2010 Mazda 3 GT. Yesterday when I started my car I noticed the engine light on, and when I was driving on the the highway I noticed the digital gas gauge gradually dropped from a almost full tank shown to empty within half hour. While the gauge reads totally empty I kept on driving and drove all the way home without issues. The car runs normal despite the wrong empty gauge reading.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it the fuel sending unit, gauge, or wiring problem?

If the whole fuel pump needs to be remove/replace do I need to drop the tank down or can I remove it from the rear seat cushion?

Any HOW-TO or video would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First up - why is the engine light on? Finding out might help you fix the problem......
Arathol, thanks for replying.

I took the car to the garage mechanic, he told me its the sending unit module not working. Since the sending unit is part of the fuel pump the whole fuel pump needs to be replace.

My question is, for 2010 Mazda 3 GT does the fuel tank need to be dropped in order to remove/replace the fuel pump or I can just remove/replace it from the rear seat(by remove the rear cushion)?

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
That code is for the fuel level sensor. Could be just a bad ground wire or something similar, but if not you probably need to replace the pump assembly. You would need to get in there to see. There should be an access cover under the back seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That code is for the fuel level sensor. Could be just a bad ground wire or something similar, but if not you probably need to replace the pump assembly. You would need to get in there to see. There should be an access cover under the back seat.
I took the car to the garage today. He was unable to remove it from the seat. The whole fuel tank has to drop. Only way. Took him 2.5 hours.

thanks for your help arathol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts