2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what anyone else has done with plasti dip, share some ideas!! Im working on blacking out my badges and emblems, and also tinting my headlights and tail lights, ill be uploading pictures of my project

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just wondering what anyone else has done with plasti dip, share some ideas!! Im working on blacking out my badges and emblems, and also tinting my headlights and tail lights, ill be uploading pictures of my project
I have done a little :tongue:

Obviously my palette choices are not for everyone, but with it being cheap and peelable, why not? You can get all kinds of looks.

Most of the chrome trim is pretty easy, with the exception of the window trim. If you're interested in doing any of that, my build thread has more details on how I did each piece.

Attachments

·
Just Having Fun
232 Posts
I plasti dipped just about everything on my car. Rear valence, all emblems, wheels, and even parts of the interior. It has held up really well. I have had it on my wheels for about 4 months and it still looks great. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
@dew111 Now imagine you have the aero kit, and dipping it lime green too :D
Well, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about it :cheesy:, but living in Colorado, clearance is important to me. I like driving on rough roads through the mountains. It's fun :) and a great way to get good pictures of my car. So, as much as I'd love to get an aero kit and/or lower it, I'm probably much better off if I don't.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I noticed the rear Mazda emblem on back looks clean,
but the skyacive and Mazda3 are textured, did you use any technics on emblem?
I did my rims and I cant get away from textures! I am planning pealing off my wheels and dip them with proper spray gun, maybe that helps? :sad 1:

Texture could be because your too far away or the can is too cold. And if you spray a coat and it dries, you might be getting some overspray on the dried area thus creating texture

·
Registered
94 Posts
Texture could be because your too far away or the can is too cold. And if you spray a coat and it dries, you might be getting some overspray on the dried area thus creating texture
thanks, but I was spraying fairly close and applying wet heavy coats for the final coats, and it was all good when wet but when it set, I had texture all over my surface, I tried on my cellphone cover as a test several times, and temp was about 75 F. I still don't get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed the rear Mazda emblem on back looks clean,
but the skyacive and Mazda3 are textured, did you use any technics on emblem?
I did my rims and I cant get away from textures! I am planning pealing off my wheels and dip them with proper spray gun, maybe that helps? :sad 1:

I like the rims! Looks good!

I think the can may have been a bit colder when I did the emblems....I think more likely though is that I actually did heavier coats on the front grille and mazda symbols making them 'wet' which filled all the little gaps between spatter that would be a light coat!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So at first a just dipped my badges then things got a bit crazy, I got the translucent plasti dip and dipped my back lights, front lights are soon too come. For the lights a just put pieces of paper in between the cracks and just taped around it too hold it down it came out really nice actually.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks good mitch212 Have you consider debadging the rear? I think the car looks cleaner without the Mazda 3 and skyactive badges.

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also, has anyone used glossifier on bare plastic surfaces? I'm thinking of 'glossifying' all the matte plastic moulding on the outside of the car but not sure what kind of results to expect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good mitch212 Have you consider debadging the rear? I think the car looks cleaner without the Mazda 3 and skyactive badges.
Yea shah I actually though about it kinda hard, but since doing it i like how all the black badging flows well

·
Registered
15 Posts
That looks clean!! I'm thinking about doing this as well!!! Did you just spray the rear M emblem and then peel it off the paint?
Yep.. as per some DIY videos on Youtube I just sprayed a box around the whole emblem and it peeled away very crisp and clean! (I didn't' believe that it would but works exactly as 'advertised'!)

really nice job man and nice garage by the way, i was thinking about doing like a half sort of blue strip on my front piece
Thanks! I'm pretty spoiled for workspace :biggrin:

Looks great! Love that colour combo. What did you use to reapply the 'mazda' badge? I was planning on blacking out my rear emblems this weekend with the badges still on the car.
Used 3M exterior mounting tape and just cut to fit...id prefer if the tape was a bit thinner but I've always got that 3M stuff on hand...epic reliability.

·
Registered
563 Posts

Removed the Skyactive badge and blacked out the mazda 3 and 'm' badges with several coats of black followed by glossifier. I'm going to redo it though, I ended up getting too much texture. I was spraying too far away and I put way too many coats.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts