2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if is worth applying plasti dip in tail lights ?? And it can affect when it comes to inspection ?? I live in tx

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
The smoke dip takes like 10+ coats on the taillights to tint them. It looks alright but also looks kinda cheap in my opinion . I don't know the laws in Texas but here in Florida any tint on the taillights or headlights is illegal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMO: Even if it is not illegal in Texas, there are personal liability issues.

Example: Your modified lights decrease visibility and another car plows into you, Since Texas is a Partial Fault State you could be held accountable both financially and criminally, (If your actions, modifying the visible light, was reckless and endangered others).

So, don't go the smoke look... Go the Clear look with colored LEDs.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I agree with that. I dipped the lights on my Veloster. One light coat of black plasti dip. It made the light much harder to see. At night it was fine. It's in the daylight that it becomes a problem. I was to worried about someone hitting me so I took it back off.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Plastidip smoke sucks

I tried it on my tail lights and I think it looks lousy... looks like the lens are going bad. I took it off after a few days. Here's a picture, it had about 8 coats on it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, don't go the smoke look... Go the Clear look with colored LEDs.

I agree 100%, take out the amber halogen bulbs and put in some LEDS. If you have a sedan it will look like evil ninja eyes in the back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried it on my tail lights and I think it looks lousy... looks like the lens are going bad. I took it off after a few days. Here's a picture, it had about 8 coats on it.

. Did you tried adding the plasti gloss to see if it would make it look better ??

·
Registered
718 Posts
. Did you tried adding the plasti gloss to see if it would make it look better ??
Yes, I did, and I don't think it made much difference. I also used it on my recent new wheel color and it's nice, but I probably wouldn't do it again. It leaves a very tacky coating and I hope the wheels end up curing as they are still sticky after 3 days now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
San Antonio shout out! I've had tail lights tinted on some of my previous cars, if you don't go too dark you won't have any issues. I found a guy in SA who has some examples of smoking tail lights on craigslist, looks like he does pretty good work. 40 for the pair, can't really beat that. I havent used him though, I plan on getting mine vinyl'd red and he only does black. If you know of any Mazda meets here is SA let me know!
Get your Taillights\ headlights Tinted for $40 -lifetime warranty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts