2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tiny Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was happy to see that Mazda included a dipstick on the automatic...it's just not terribly convenient to get to.

It's a little grey thing held in with a 10mm bolt. Using several extensions, one can get to it from the top, by going in between the upper radiator hose and the airbox.

I didn't bother to take it out to look, but figured I'd throw these up in case anyone was having difficulty finding it.

_DSC2138 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

_DSC2140 by GirchyGirchy, on Flickr

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Uhh.. The dipstick is on the top of the engine, it is yellow handle that you just twist off. hahaha.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
He's talking about the Automatic Transmission, not the Engine.
Now that makes more sense. Yeah that sucker is a pain. But, you really don't need to worry about changing the auto tranny fluid but there is rare occasions.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Heard that one of reasons why they bolted the Auto tranny dipstick was so some home mechanic guys don't add engine oil in the wrong hole and vice versa !!!! By unbolting make them think. :yes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my first post and i can say this thread is exactly why i joined. I couldn't find that atf dipstick on my 2013 skyactive 2.0l thankyou

·
Registered
74 Posts
They recommend to take the lower engine cover down and service it from underneath...I change the fuild in pan every 2 years on my cars...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Heard that one of reasons why they bolted the Auto tranny dipstick was so some home mechanic guys don't add engine oil in the wrong hole and vice versa !!!! By unbolting make them think. :yes:
this is sad.... My 02 explorer didnt even have a dipstick for the tranny. They claimed it would last forever.. lol we figured out a way to change it ourselves by using a rapid evac tool. at 100k everyones was going out.. ours has 200k on the original tranny with 40k fluid changes.. yeahhh suck on that engineers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The big thing that destroyed the autos from a few years ago was the high heat generated by towing that was destroying the auto transmission lubes. Now with the newer lubes coming out the heat is handled better. Won't hurt changing out the auto tranny lube after a couple of years But added cost by doing it after 6 months not worth the expense . Would be interesting though if a person could do an oil analysis after say 12 months just to see what shows.

The big thing would be to make sure correct oil is used to replace the original oil used and not an aftermarket replacement.

·
Registered
343 Posts
There is no such thing as "lifetime" trans fluid. I know an engineer in fluid dynamics and he said there is no such thing.

He said the main reasons WHY Mazda and other manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan, etc) are referring to the trans fluid as "lifetime" is for EPA reasons, first and foremost. The manufacturers don't get penalized by the EPA by having fluids that can be referenced to as "lifetime" but in reality, they are not.

The engineer stated that ALL fluids breakdown over time and that heat, dirt and the additives in the fluid breakdown all the fluid loses its lubricating properties.

He stated that the fluid should be replaced every 30k miles. A simple drain and fill will keep it running smoothy. The longer you wait to replace the fluid, the worse it gets.

He also said that if you read the fine print on the "lifetime" fluid it goes into detail describing what the true definition of lifetime really is. Lifetime doesn't mean forever even though the term denotes a false understanding. It basically means 100k miles is the "life" of the fluid in a perfect environment (no excessive heat, mostly highway driving, very little city driving, no hard starts, low RPM, etc).

·
Tiny Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know a guy who did something similar to his girlfriend's Mazda6....drained all of the ATF and poured in new oil. It didn't make it far before the engine began smoking wildly and the car stopped moving because the tranny couldn't build pressure. Idiot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts