2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've gotten a couple requests to post some updated pics of the Mazda. I put these together yesterday (fresh out of tire shine, sorry bout that). I'm not around as frequently as I use to be, but rest assured, I'm here.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
How are you liking the the Eibachs with Koni FSD? I was talking to a tech rep with Koni and they really advised me not run FSD with the Eibach springs. Car looks amazing too.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
How are you liking the the Eibachs with Koni FSD? I was talking to a tech rep with Koni and they really advised me not run FSD with the Eibach springs. Car looks amazing too.
They're known to pair well. The prokits are mild drop springs. Except em being progressive, they're close to OE ride & comfort.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From a ride quality standpoint, they work wonderfully. I am literally shocked how well they work together actually. Sometimes if I hit a hard dip, I can tell the stiffer bounce in the rear. But other than that, it's darn close to a stock sporty ride.

As for performance, I can't speak to that. I lowered mine strictly for looks, and maintaining ride quality was the most important thing to me. I can say that when I'm feeling spirited behind the wheel, it hugs the curves with minimal body roll and never leaves me feeling unconfident. But I'm certainly no racecar driver. So in the event you're taking this thing to track days, etc, your tech rep may be referencing concern related to that.

But ride quality wise and looks, it gets two thumbs up from me.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AwesoM3!!!!! Were you able to install 5mm spacers on those wheels, @Chazzy J sir?
Yes sir! Only on the rear though. When I put them on the front, it actually looked like the fronts stuck out further. But when just adding them to the rear, they look perfect imo. Maintains that stock OEM look w/o saying, "hey look everyone, I ride around with spacers!" haha

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
I was talking to a tech rep with Koni and they really advised me not run FSD with the Eibach springs.
Why not? Did he give you a reason not to? I have had FSDs with H&Rs on my car for some months now with no issues and those are lower than Eibachs. :dunno:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice set of wheels @Chazzy J

I would have preferred the sedan but needed the hatch for family practicalities..

I have seen so many posts on the eibach springs that they are on my A-list for upgrades.

Was there any particular reason for the koni fsd's over the stock shocks? I have seen other state that the stock shocks should be good for 10,000 before worrying about life span? Curious just in case I should be considering this route also.

thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why not? Did he give you a reason not to? I have had FSDs with H&Rs on my car for some months now with no issues and those are lower than Eibachs. :dunno:
See the response below

Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. KONI's patented FSD feature that smooths out the high frequency impacts from the road surface while improving handling control over lower frequency suspension motions adds another wildcard into the mix and thus requires actual testing to see what works appropriately or not when it comes to lowering. The Mazda 3 in particular is an application that our design engineers felt work best with factory ride height springs, due to their already limited amount of stroke. However, the FSD dampers do not care if you have OE or lowering springs at all, but to work properly you do need to do your best not to allow the car to impact the bump rubbers very often during normal use. Although it does no damage to the FSD system, a harsh, high frequency impact into a bump rubber will be seen by the FSD system just like a high frequency road surface impact and it will be in blow-off mode to allow the energy to be un-damped for a smooth ride,. Since normally a bump rubber impact needs more damping control and not less, the car may likely feel under damped when you spike the bump rubbers hard (this will happen more often with the lowered suspension. Because of this, it is very important for proper FSD function for car's such as the MINI to keep ride height and spring rate combination from allowing too much bump rubber contact. While it is not KONI’s preferred combination, (Sports would be best option for lowering spring) it does not harm the shocks, it just may not give the same amount of comfort and ride quality control you would normally get with the FSD’s.

Mason O’Hara

Technical Sales Representative

KONI - an ITT company

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
See the response below

Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. KONI's patented FSD feature that smooths out the high frequency impacts from the road surface while improving handling control over lower frequency suspension motions adds another wildcard into the mix and thus requires actual testing to see what works appropriately or not when it comes to lowering. The Mazda 3 in particular is an application that our design engineers felt work best with factory ride height springs, due to their already limited amount of stroke. However, the FSD dampers do not care if you have OE or lowering springs at all, but to work properly you do need to do your best not to allow the car to impact the bump rubbers very often during normal use. Although it does no damage to the FSD system, a harsh, high frequency impact into a bump rubber will be seen by the FSD system just like a high frequency road surface impact and it will be in blow-off mode to allow the energy to be un-damped for a smooth ride,. Since normally a bump rubber impact needs more damping control and not less, the car may likely feel under damped when you spike the bump rubbers hard (this will happen more often with the lowered suspension. Because of this, it is very important for proper FSD function for car's such as the MINI to keep ride height and spring rate combination from allowing too much bump rubber contact. While it is not KONI’s preferred combination, (Sports would be best option for lowering spring) it does not harm the shocks, it just may not give the same amount of comfort and ride quality control you would normally get with the FSD’s.

Mason O’Hara

KONI - an ITT company
So, to make an unnecessarily long story short, they will work but they say they won't because they don't want complaints from customers that don't have a clue about how things work.
They work fine on a lowered car, just use the right springs and bumps stops as you should be doing anyhow.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
See the response below

Mason O’Hara

KONI - an ITT company
That's why the rule of thumb here is to cut or change to shorter bumpstops (equal the drop) to retain stock travel.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why the rule of thumb here is to cut or change to shorter bumpstops (equal the drop) to retain stock travel.
Right. The Eibachs come with new bump stops for the front. Not sure if any trimming is needed on the rear -- can't remember if my mechanic told he trimmed any or not. I don't think he did

Reactions: minsanity

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice set of wheels @Chazzy J

I would have preferred the sedan but needed the hatch for family practicalities..

I have seen so many posts on the eibach springs that they are on my A-list for upgrades.

Was there any particular reason for the koni fsd's over the stock shocks? I have seen other state that the stock shocks should be good for 10,000 before worrying about life span? Curious just in case I should be considering this route also.

thanks
Thank you sir. 2015 Mazda6 GT Wheels. They call them bright - but I assume they'd be equivalent to "hyper silver". Ironically I thought I was buying the gunmetal, and I was hesitant about the gunmetal (many a conversations with @minsanity about my hesitancy). Long story short, the picture showed gunmetal wheels and the hyper silvers showed up and I actually ended up loving them and kept them. It was fate telling me what to do, haha.

As for considerations with shocks, no reason other than I wanted to ensure good ride quality and I knew the FSDs would do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts