2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who knows how to remove scratches on the said panels? Particularly the ones by the shifter

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if there's anyone here who knows how to remove scratches on the said panels? Particularly the ones by the shifter
That is a great question...I'll be interested to know if anyone has any remedies. I use an eyeglasses cleaning cloth on mine and at that, I only press lightly. So far, 20k miles in, I've gotten away with minimal scratches. I would think to really do a proper job, you'd have to remove the trim and see if any buffing would help -- which I don't think it would.

I guess for longevity purposes, you could always remove the trim and do a proper job priming, painting, and clearcoat in A3F - brilliant black. At least then you could remove the trim from time to time and put a nice coat of wax on it, but that might be a little excessive, but totally something I'd do...then again, I'm a little eccentric.

People don't understand my love affair with this car...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do understand that sort of love affair. I too cringe whenever I see the smallest and lightest of scratches. Hahaha!

Though what you suggested is somewhat over the top, it is a good way to preserve our interior

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thinking of taking off my panels around the shifter and commander knob as well. Either thinking 3M film, paint or just getting new ones and spraying them with clear.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have used Meguiar's PlastX, it helps to remove light scratches but not deep scratches, overall does a good job! :)

I always use a lint free cloth as well very important, have not used polish or wax after tough...

·
Registered
979 Posts
So today at the car wash (all car washes are nasty) they pretty much scratched the glossy piano panel around the shifter by using a dirty rag inside the cabin.

So I decided to really see if I could get rid of these scratches, so I taped around the shifter properly and did the following:

1- Plastic X
2- Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
3- Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
4- Meguiar's Clean and Wax

I applied quiet a little bit of pressure on the panel when rubbing with the pad. Overall very happy with the results, deep scratches are less visible but not completely removed and light scratches are gone.

IMO this is the most annoying part in our cars, these glossy parts look excellent but COME ON!!! Mazda should have used a different materials.

Finally if we really look for the scratches we'll find them, at least in my mind I feel that I did something to remove the scratches and that makes me feel less worried and annoyed :)

Provided some pictures, the first is before doing the procedure mentioned above, and the second is after, maybe judging from the pictures there is not a big difference but there is :)

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Whats really sad is that mazda and others have replacement pieces for RHD markets.
I was going to buy a second panel and repaint it, but could come to terms with the seller.
You can get the front corner vents in the fake carbon fiber if you have cash to blow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts