2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen several times in different posts people asking about mounts for their phone. I’ve rigged something up and someone out there may find it useful. Keep in mind, the screenshot I’m showing from Amazon isn’t the exact mount I have. I actually got this mount from work, the guys use it to strap a tablet around a pole they use to GPS underground utilities. I posted the picture so it is easier to understand the type of mount needed for this, and that one on Amazon looks very similar to the one I have. I removed the rubber strap and ran a heavy-duty zip tie through it, wrapped it around the trim and cinched it down by grabbing the tab I pulled through with some needle-nose pliers and rolling it tight. It works really well and it’s the only spot in the whole car where it mounts great and facial recognition still works. The actual phone-holder part is another mount, but I’m sure most people are like me and have several of those lying around that may fit,or can possibly use the one it comes with.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a cup holder mount from Amazon for my 19 Mazda3. Works great with Waze. Top screen shows map, phone below shows turn by turn.

A little too far away to access the phone but also too far away to use as a cup holder.

It may be in the way for a third generation 3. The cup holders are much better for holding a cup but may be too far out of view to hold a phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I’m too OCD to have a vent mount. That’s exactly why I did it this way. In my mind, I can’t make something useless for its original purpose (if I still feel I need it for that purpose) while trying to make it useful for something else. It seems counterintuitive. So negating the full functionality of the vent is not something I’m willing to do. That’s the same reason I won’t use a cup holder mount. Even if I don’t use the cupholder often.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Kuda isn't a vent mount, though. Here's another neat BM/BN specific mount.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kuda isn't a vent mount, though.
With a closer look, I see that. The enormous device on it distracted me, I guess. Yeah that looks like one I may actually use. With my current one I only spent slightly over $20, though. Just the Kuda base is $67. Geez, that’s crazy for a little piece of plastic.
As far as the other one, I also don’t use magnet mounts. I’m sure they are fine for some people, but they will prevent Qi charging and you have a big ugly magnet slapped on the back of your phone. I saw a couple of companies that make some like that, and it’s a pretty good place for a mount. They’re also expensive for no good reason. If I could have found one that mounts in that spot and doesn’t use magnets and didn’t cost as much I may have considered it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did the CD player mount stuck in between the vent and dash trim. Works well for me and does not obstruct view of infotainment screen. I use a magnet but they come in the other style as well.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I did the CD player mount stuck in between the vent and dash trim. Works well for me and does not obstruct view of infotainment screen. I use a magnet but they come in the other style as well.
Pics please?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I really love this mount I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZV12YX8. Super adjustable and can tilt towards you too. I keep mine on the right middle vent and have it adjusted such that the vent doesn't blow onto the phone and it's angled towards me.

Stock pic:
Looks nice & functional...but I'm vent-mount-phobic. The blades can eventually be collateral damage as the plastics age & brittle.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, this has gone off the rails. I’m out..

·
Registered
68 Posts
The small screws does not have any function, I put them back to cover the mounting holes of a previous ProClip phone holder.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts