2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone tried a dual USB cable to both USB ports usually used to power a portable hard drive?
search on amazon for USB2HAUBY3 I'm too new to post links.

I ordered one of these figuring it has to at least give me double the voltage.

using with an Iphone with this adapter
search Amazon for micro USB to lightening adapter.

I'll post some results as time permits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ordered one of these figuring it has to at least give me double the voltage.
USB 1.0 and 2.0 output 0.5A max. With your setup you should get double the POWER (1A total or about 5 Watts which is the same as your bundled original Apple iPhone charger).

Don't try to connect a charger with double the VOLTAGE to your phone or you will fry it.

I bought this charger from eBay and plan to install it next week. It has one 1A and one 2.1A ports. iPhone 6 and later can handle fast charging from an iPad charger at 2.1A (or about 12W).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can recommend trying changing an adapter or a cable, some of them - Chienese for instance r slower than the other) It worked for me)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know guys, is it really such a problem to buy some really good 2x2.4A charger for few bucks and one good cable with 20-22 AWG lines for charging? Ebay is really good for such things, look for some Anker charger and Juicebitz cables and you won't have any problem with sufficient Amp's flowing to the phone..

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The 2017-18 models have a cigarette lighter port in the center console. I bought a cheap USB connector that plugs into it and it charges much faster than the normal USB ports.

My phone even says fast charging when I plug it in.
CK

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is technically true. You can short the data pins, but it is a jury rig and isn't advisable in many cases. Depending on how powerful your phone is, combined with the gauge of wire supplying the usb port, or the durability of the print, you could end up burning out the slot. I've witnessed this happen several time, an in one case one of my co-workers nearly started a fire.

The resistor between the D+ and D- terminals is there so that the phone can differentiate between a wall charger that is rated for 2amps and a computer USB port which is typically rated for 0.5amps.

Those of you who bought tablets or phones with 2amps or greater USB chargers will notice the charger getting very warm when it charges. This is due to something called resistive loss. As electrons move through a conductor, there is friction created from the resistance in the line, and some of that energy is lost in the form off heat. This is actually how electric radiant heaters work.

The difference is that a 2amp wall charger is designed to handle the heat. It has larger conductors and higher quality connections and thicker circuit printing to reduce resistance and accommodate the extra heat. A USB slot rated for 0.5amps may not have these features and could easily burn out if too much load is placed on it.

You're better off getting 12VDC ciggarette lighter to 5VDC USB 2A converter. You can get them shallow enough that they can be placed inside the arm console and still close the lid.
But won’t using the cigarette lighter in the arm console drain your battery if left in there (not charging but just the plug)? I was told that by a AAA person who was charging my dead battery. :-/. This was on an Elantra but it is noted in the manual also I think if idling. Can’t remember if motor is off. But per the AAA person it would happen when off. I honestly don’t know if he was right or not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
But won’t using the cigarette lighter in the arm console drain your battery if left in there (not charging but just the plug)? I was told that by a AAA person who was charging my dead battery. :-/. This was on an Elantra but it is noted in the manual also I think if idling. Can’t remember if motor is off. But per the AAA person it would happen when off. I honestly don’t know if he was right or not.
I have a 2018 Mazda3. If leave my Anker USB car charger plugged in the 12V socket in the armrest, it appears to draw power (as indicated by the glowing lights around the ports) even when the car is off and nothing is plugged in to it.

·
Super Moderator
4,417 Posts
I have a 2018 Mazda3. If leave my Anker USB car charger plugged in the 12V socket in the armrest, it appears to draw power (as indicated by the glowing lights around the ports) even when the car is off and nothing is plugged in to it.
Yes, the 12v port in the center rest is not wired through the ignition so its always got power.
And yes, of course that charger appears to be drawing power when it is plugged in. It is drawing power because it has lights that need power to illuminate.........

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I only plug it in when I use it.. I leave it in the center console with the charging wire wrapped around it, when not in use.
CK

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm, that's interesting your 12v in the center console/armrest is always powered.

On my Australian 2017 Mazda 3 BN, the 12v socket in there is ignition-switched.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts