Votes: 196 72.1%
  • original

Votes: 76 27.9%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen numerous ways on this forum to personalize your car. From spoilers to eyelids and from plasti dipping to de-badging.

I can see the fun in that. But personal, I feel more emotional value to it by keeping it original.

The Skyactiv badge for example is pretty sily I think, so I will be tempted to remove it. But I won't. I want to keep the car as 'original' as possible.

Am I the only one here?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I enjoy being able to id my car right away without checking a license plate.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Being different is what separates us from the normalization of life. Some people are happy with looking the same. I would rather be different.

Reactions: nerfer

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Are you saying you like to keep the car in it's "original" 100% stock form or you want to keep it original in your way? I like driving down the street and not be that exact same car I see driving by me every few minutes :D But I kinda see what you're saying tho, I like to personalize my car but keep it subtle, just enough to enhance the look without going overboard. For example, instead of blacking out the chrome trims with plasti dip or whatever, I use black chrome so it looks stock yet still has a personalized touch to it to keep it "original" :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you saying you like to keep the car in it's "original" 100% stock form or you want to keep it original in your way? I like driving down the street and not be that exact same car I see driving by me every few minutes :D
Me too. That's one of the reasons I bought a Mazda3 and not a Ford Focus or Volkswagen Golf.:wink2:

I haven't seen a Mazda3 Sedan driving down the street yet. And when I will see one, perhaps it's in another color or not original anymore.

The chance to see exact the same car in it's "original" 100% stock form is where I live rather small I think. At the moment at least. And when the car is older than 7 years or so, the chance to see one completely original in good condition keeps getting smaller.

In that way, the age of the car and it's condition becomes a, more or less, subtle way of long term personalization.

:nerd:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mazda 3 is actually a really nice car to personalize and yet you don't have to spend a lot of money if you don't want to; hence my car:biggrin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't customize my cars to much and don't plan on doing anything crazy to my sTouring. Led interior lights, aftermarket pedals, OEM door sill trim plates, fumoto drain plug valve, license plate bracket, and red painted brake calipers. Hmmm, after writing it all out i guess I do like customizing my car haha. I am not going to lower it though. May get the OEM body kit at some point.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wish the poll had more options or defined it more specifically. There's light customizations, reversible ones, and ones that involve changing sheet metal, molding, grills etc. Engine mods that can't be seen? I have a personalized license plate and plan on putting in pedal covers and a hitch, but those aren't obvious, so I'm not sure that that counts. I'm thinking this is more for things like aero kits, lowering, fancy rims, etc. So I answered No for me, but I don't mind seeing other cars that have been visually customized. But if you're scraping the ground and riding on rubber that's only a couple inches thick, I'll shake my head at that, because I know you can't drive it where I can drive my car.

Keep in mind you likely won't get that money back when you sell the car. Most buyers simply won't care or will want to go back to original, especially if trading in at the dealer. Finding the buyer who wants what you wanted and is ready to pay extra for that will take some time.

I agree with Kronos that just having a Mazda3 sets us apart. Mine is red, I deliberately stayed away from the sea of silver/grey/white cars that are out there. Outside of the dealer lot, I haven't seen another red Mazda3 2014+ sedan, so my car is already quite unique. Add to that, it's a stick shift.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a personalized license plate and plan on putting in pedal covers and a hitch, but those aren't obvious, so I'm not sure that that counts.
That's still original enough. Thank you for voting. :thumbup1 1:

Your car looks great as I can see it on your avatar.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
I'm in the camp of keeping it original, but with a caveat -- OEM accessories. I'm not much for trying too hard to stand out. I've been in the car game for a while. I understand why people love decking their car out, and I understand why people like keeping it clean. It's a symbol of our own personality in most cases.

For me, I don't like it to be bone stock like the rest of the cars on the dealer's lot. I like it to have some aftermarket stuff on it that keeps it clean. The Mazda3 has a pretty good selection of accessories. One of the many reasons I bought it. I can still keep it OEM while giving my 3 its own flavor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you saying you like to keep the car in it's "original" 100% stock form or you want to keep it original in your way? I like driving down the street and not be that exact same car I see driving by me every few minutes :D But I kinda see what you're saying tho, I like to personalize my car but keep it subtle, just enough to enhance the look without going overboard. For example, instead of blacking out the chrome trims with plasti dip or whatever, I use black chrome so it looks stock yet still has a personalized touch to it to keep it "original" :D
I like the premium look of the black chrome. I recently tried out plastidip but it just feels like a temporary solution that might not last. How did you do the black chrome? Did you vinyl wrap it yourself or something else?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I like the premium look of the black chrome. I recently tried out plastidip but it just feels like a temporary solution that might not last. How did you do the black chrome? Did you vinyl wrap it yourself or something else?
I'm not a big fan of plasti dip, that's why I rather spend a little more to give it a more finished look. I wrapped the chrome V on the front grill and the chrome window trims in black chrome vinyl. The front emblem and the chrome brow thing over the fog lights I painted it with duplicolor black chrome. Color matched the vinyl pretty well. Here's what I did...

I want to do the rear emblems black chrome too but too much of a hassle right now lol

·
Working Class Hero
3,786 Posts
Spent a lot on modding the last car I had (05 Mazda 6 hatch), so probably not going to do much to this one. But I am doing a few things to make it mine. I've never been able to leave a car alone lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
666 Posts
Enough to have a bit of fun and protect the car, but not enough to lower the resale value or blow too much money. I still have my Foz for more substantial mods. This car I'm keen on keeping it in best possible shape when resale time comes.

That said, i understand the mod bug.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts