2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was originally going to purchase vehicle with cash, but wondering if it's good idea to sign up for Mazda financing, receive incentive ($500 month credit for first 2 months), and then completely pay off the loan before interest charges add up.

Any thoughts appreciated, trying to figure out how to take advantage of any discounts/ incentives offered, I'm not eligible for any other incentives.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's exactly what I'll be doing. I'll let Mazda pay the first two (up to $500 each). I'll make the next two and then pay it off. It's available only on 2015's.

Isn't there $1,250 to $1,500 rebate on the sedan and $1,000 rebate on the hatchback in most regions?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Was originally going to purchase vehicle with cash, but wondering if it's good idea to sign up for Mazda financing, receive incentive ($500 month credit for first 2 months), and then completely pay off the loan before interest charges add up.

Any thoughts appreciated, trying to figure out how to take advantage of any discounts/ incentives offered, I'm not eligible for any other incentives.
I'm not sure, but I think there may be differences state to state. In California, there was no prepayment penalty or minimum interest so I paid off the loan 9 days after buying the car. Saved over $820 to take the incentive.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your thoughts. One of the internet sales managers I'm in touch with suggested going this route.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Depending on your financial situation and the rate you got, it might also be worth it to take the full loan. I was able to get 0.9% APR despite not having auto credit history. I could've paid cash, but this lets me build credit history. On top of that, 0.9% interest is practically nothing, so I can take that money and invest instead of giving it all up at once. Something to consider while interest rates are so low.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I didn't get any incentives when I purchased my car back in late 2013 :( I did get a very low interest rate. I forgot what rate I got, it was something like 0.49% or something pretty low. I hate having car payments so I ended up paying off the loan a couple months after getting the car. There were no penalties for paying off early but I think if I dragged it on longer it would help improve my credit score more.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's what I did back in Oct 2014 when I bought mine. It netted me an additional $750 rebate on top of the deal I already made. Because of the few days needed to move $ around and actually pay off the loan, I paid about $2.50 in interest. So $750 - 2.50 = $747.50 net gain, I'd say that's a no-brainer if you have the cash handy to pull it off. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
there's better ways to improve your credit rating than that. If you're good with your money, buy everything on a credit card and pay it off in full every month.

I've been doing this for years. I don't think they've ever got any interest from me. My credit score is top notch and my card gets me free groceries :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Question for you experts out there... I got my car earlier this January (I wanted to give a better car payment and wait longer, but there was a somewhat good deal and needed the car at the moment), and I'm planning on hopefully paying it off late next year. I actually was thinking of doing a 3 year plan, whoever, the guys said i might as well do a 4 year plan (incase something happens)... Interest would be the same... and my car payments would not be as much. With that in mind, I pay like 460 a month (got all the warranty/they'll fix my paint if it gets chipped stuff), BUT I'm pretending I'm putting a lot more money... however, I'm not giving/paying with that extra money yet. I'm keeping it as a back-up (you never know, something could happen and I might need the money for my parents). My question is, am I doing ok, by just putting the money aside, pretending it's going to the car payment, but it's actually backup... And once I know I can pay it all at once, I'll use my back-up money (should be about 10 gran lol) and pay it off in one blow...

In conclusion, should I just be paying a lot more than i need to for my car payments? Or should I keep putting that extra money as back-up, then pay it all at once? Am I doing a stupid mistake? Help me please:D

·
Registered
198 Posts
In conclusion, should I just be paying a lot more than i need to for my car payments? Or should I keep putting that extra money as back-up, then pay it all at once? Am I doing a stupid mistake? Help me please:D
This is a completely individual financial assessment... only you can answer that question.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Question for you experts out there... I got my car earlier this January (I wanted to give a better car payment and wait longer, but there was a somewhat good deal and needed the car at the moment), and I'm planning on hopefully paying it off late next year. I actually was thinking of doing a 3 year plan, whoever, the guys said i might as well do a 4 year plan (incase something happens)... Interest would be the same... and my car payments would not be as much. With that in mind, I pay like 460 a month (got all the warranty/they'll fix my paint if it gets chipped stuff), BUT I'm pretending I'm putting a lot more money... however, I'm not giving/paying with that extra money yet. I'm keeping it as a back-up (you never know, something could happen and I might need the money for my parents). My question is, am I doing ok, by just putting the money aside, pretending it's going to the car payment, but it's actually backup... And once I know I can pay it all at once, I'll use my back-up money (should be about 10 gran lol) and pay it off in one blow...

Like azbruno said, it's an individual decision. You were referring to an emergency fund that everyone needs to have. No one can predict the future and only you and a trustworthy financial advisor (not a salesman) can come up with a reasonable amount. Once you've reached this amount, extra money goes into paying down debt (18% credit card debt first, then 6% car loan, etc). Don't wait until you can pay it off all at once. It's 0.25% a year you'll earn with that extra $1 in the bank vs X% a year you'll pay on that extra $1 of loan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was going to pay in full cash as well, and decided to finance through Mazda to get the $500 financing promo. Only financed $10k and paid it off in full the next week, so I didn't care what rate they gave me (ended up being 3.09%). No early penalties. My credit score didn't budge and saved some $$$.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got mine financed at the 0.9%, and I put a large chunk down for down payment and the salesman was confused. He was like, you're getting such a low rate, why do you want to put so much down?...I don't want a huge car payment and I'm going to pay it off early no matter what the rate is because I don't want to pay every month for 5 years lol I didn't have that $500 incentive though, I would take full advantage of that. I mean, why not?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I just bought my '15 with the same intention. I need to follow up with the finance manager who helped me - both he and the salesman (separately) told me I should let Mazda make the first two payments, then I make one more, and then pay it off. They really emphasized making that third payment… but I don't see any penalties in the paperwork for paying it off early. I wonder if they only get their kickback on the financing if 3 or more payments are made?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just bought my '15 with the same intention. I need to follow up with the finance manager who helped me - both he and the salesman (separately) told me I should let Mazda make the first two payments, then I make one more, and then pay it off. They really emphasized making that third payment… but I don't see any penalties in the paperwork for paying it off early. I wonder if they only get their kickback on the financing if 3 or more payments are made?
Yes. They get a kickback as long as you keep the loan for 90+ days

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. They get a kickback as long as you keep the loan for 90+ days
Thanks! That clears things up.

If I were to pay 90%+ of the loan off in the first month, Mazda would still kick in their $500 share, correct? That would help to minimize the interest I'm paying, but I don't want to jeopardize the first two $500 payments.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts