2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 S Grand Touring automatic, less than 3000 miles on it. Is it normal to experience a noticeable pause and lurch when hitting around 2000 rpm in first gear? The sensation feels like suddenly releasing then pressing down on the gas pedal. To be clear, this pause and lurch is happens BEFORE the transmission begins to shift, not as part of the shift itself.

Is this normal, or should I go see the dealership?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I get this exactly when I accelerate a little too hard in 1st on a cold start. Typically right after I shifted out of reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would take it to the dealership. This is not normal and as I have learned from my past experience with the transmission in my Subaru this is a common sign of transmission failure. There is a name for this behavior but I forget what it is. My 2016 S Grand touring 6 speed auto started do the same thing a few months ago and I had no check engine light. I took it to the dealership and they checked for any stored codes and found none. Yet when they drove the car it was obvious there was a problem. After consulting with Mazda USA the transmission was completely replaced under warranty. The car had less than 3000k miles. Everything is fine now but not a good start.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
2015 S Grand Touring automatic, less than 3000 miles on it. Is it normal to experience a noticeable pause and lurch when hitting around 2000 rpm in first gear? The sensation feels like suddenly releasing then pressing down on the gas pedal. To be clear, this pause and lurch is happens BEFORE the transmission begins to shift, not as part of the shift itself.

Is this normal, or should I go see the dealership?

Thanks for any help!
In some cases sounds like the fluid is low, old or clogged. But yes, you very much want to take it into the dealer and immediately do a test drive with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have noticed this as well. 2016 2.0 auto with about 1500 miles. I notice this more when the car is "cold". I thought it was something to do with the logic of it and me being really picky rather than a mechanical issue. Feels like a little dead spot and then a rush of torque. General consensus is that it's a mechanical issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts