2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Am I the only one concerned about the direction Mazda continues to go?

The development of a new V6 when the competition (and Mazda) has been most successful in developing smaller more efficient I4. Additionally Mazda's reputation has been built on the reliability of it current engine line.

The development of a transmission with more gears when the competition struggle with the reliability of their new transmissions with a larger number of gears. Mazda is often credited with an extremely reliable transmission in comparison.

Beyond these two announcements, the talk of changing the 6 into a rear wheel drive larger sedan when the market for rear wheel drive larger sedans is drying up fast also seems to be moving in the wrong direction.

Am I the only one concerned?

·
Registered
336 Posts
You have some legitimate points there. I say that from the position of liking in-line 6 / rear wheel drive cars. Turbo-4's are the defacto std... even BMW is there... and Mercedes now has FWD. Only thing I can think of here is that Mazda is banking heavily on platform sharing / joint venture with Toyota and others?

·
Registered
203 Posts
If Mazda comes out with a near-luxury RWD larger sedan, with a V6 and an 8 speed transmission, it will be a perfect match to the Kia Cadenza. Kia was able to sell 1,630 last year, down from the high in 2014 of 9,626.

I am not in the market for a larger, softer, RWD car, but if I were, the Cadenza would be at the top of the list.

Aim high Mazda!

·
Mazda Fresher
104 Posts
A Japanese made BMW clone with RWD and an inline 6? Sure, sign me up! I'd hope maintenance would be far less than their Bavarian counterparts...

When I first saw this I was thinking maybe they were trying to do a V6 in a i4 space like the VW VR6, but I guess not after looking at the long block diagrams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts