2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Parking

Tags
parking
5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  opti1 
#1 ·
So i may make some peoples day by asking this but...well, i'm thinking about buying a Mazda 3 but have to admin that i'm a complete failure when it comes to parallel parking. And therefore i'm missing some automatic parking system like the Ford Focus for example has available.

Do you think that a Mazda 3 equiped with backup camera and pdc on front and back could even make me being able to safely park? Does the backup camera help at all with parallel parking? I was hoping for something on youtube about this but didn't find anything.

I'd prefer the Mazda 3 over cars like the Ford Focus or Volkswagen Golf as i would expect better realiability but this point really makes me hesitate to buy one...:001_rolleyes:

So if anyone feels like helping Mazda to sell one more Mazda 3 please tell me how to parallel park it :laugh2:

#3 ·
Re: Parallel Parking...

When I was learning, I used 3 HotWheels cars on my desk to help me visualize. There's more than one angle of approach so you don't have to be perfect.

My big challenge was getting into a spot with a double parked car. I pulled up side by side to the double parked car, and used a very steep angle of approach. I did it!

Speaking of HotWheels, I wish they (or MatchBox) would make a toy model of the Mazda3... any year. I did find one of the Mazda2 though.

#6 ·
I think looking over one's shoulder is obsolete, as it makes you get into an twisted position that is not normal for driving. You use both side view mirrors to park, both parallel and when backing into a normal parking spot. The rear view camera is useful to tell how close you are to the other car or back of the parking area. Otherwise, it has limited other usefulness other than the safety aspect of picking up a small child who might be right behind you.

Not very long after we bought our 3 last September, I went to a movie theatre. There was a parallel parking spot right in front of the theatre. I parked in it the first try.

Ralph

#10 · (Edited)
I'd love to hear what places don't allow over the shoulder looking.

Every drive test and lane-changing method says looking over shoulder for the blind spot is a must when changing lanes.

Without a rearview camera, turn your head to judge distance - side mirrors are more difficult to judge distance. Their "Objects appear closer..." warning literally indicates so.

@OP, the rear cam can let you know when to start turning your wheels at a certain distance from the crub, at a given angle you're backing up. Should only take a few successful attempts to judge just from the cam. Still check your mirrors so you dont swing into anything eg cyclists and if someone's stopped right behind you of course..

#9 ·
As you get older, you get smarter.

Use those mirrors AND rear backup cameras. Do not twist ones neck or back to do in reverse. They might not twist back. You might end up in the ER at the hospital. Just use properly positioned mirrors and cameras to not hit anyone.

I've read where owners of 5 door 3s cannot see out the back window. Can't see much even from our sedans. Use the mirrors and camera.

Ralph

#11 ·
Blind spots are an excuse. Modern cars have mirrors that are designed so as not to have blind spots on either side of the car. That the reason for the wide angle view mirrors. If the mirrors are properly adjusted, you should not have blind spots. There is however, a lot that you can't see by twisting around to look, especially if you are the SUV driving soccer mom type. Bottom line is you can see a lot better with properly adjusted mirrors if you know how to use them. It seems unfortunately that a lot of people don't know how and don't care.
Changing lanes while trying to look over your shoulder is not safe. If you take two seconds too turn around trying to see what to your right or left, at highway speeds you have traveled 180 feet or more. That is more than enough to smash into slowing traffic ahead of you or sideswipe another car. In addition, when you turn around to look behind you, there is an excellent probability that you will drift in that direction. Between the two its pretty easy to cause a accident. Using properly adjusted mirrors to change lanes keeps your eyes facing front where they should be.
My daughters boyfriend just got his licence. Looking over the shoulder while driving is not recommended.

#12 ·
First and foremost, find an empty lot somewhere and learn where the corners of your car are from the driver's seat without sitting up or crowding the dash. Only then can you successfully parallel park. I did it for 31 years in a big brown truck, mirrors and camera only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

#13 ·
My teenage son just got his license. On the test, failure to look over your shoulder while pulling out or while reversing is grounds for immediate failure. He learned starting next year, reverse cameras and blind spot monitoring will be allowed.

Nevertheless, I drive a 2010 Mazda3 which doesn't have these driver aids, so doing a head check is a useful skill. I think this thread is talking about 2 separate things though: 1) head check while parking 2) head check at speed while changing lanes.

I agree #2 is flawed, but the way to compensate is to leave enough room in front of you before checking the blind spot.

#15 ·
here's a little tip, go try it. when i did my driving test back in singapore, reverse and parallel parking were a must to pass.

as you approach, park alongside the car next to you. then reverse till your rear door window 'triangle piece' passes the car and immediately full lock whichever side of the road you guys drive on. now you're at an angle, going into the space. next keep it straight in till the car in front is beside your side mirror and full lock the other way to straighten out..

works most of the time, unless the space is really tight..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.