Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this in a review of a Euro Mazda3:

Does anyone know if we can get these fitted in our US cars?

Ralph

·
*The Electrician*
1,000 Posts
I don't think its necessary, the backup camera is more than sufficient. Like anything, with some time and adjustment you should be able to easily see in the camera how far away you are. If you go from a Mazda 2 to a giant diesel truck there is an adjustment period for learning the distances around the vehicle when driving and parking. With time and practice you can generally judge the distances to within a 2-3 feet but that doesn't happen overnight ;) unless your me. I caution people from using sensors like this, you start trusting the sensors more than your own senses and that creates accidents. I understand we are the guinea pigs for all these new technologies that will eventually be the staple in self-driving cars, but I still caution how far we should trust them in these early stages of development. Look what happened to the guy in the Tesla who trusted the system instead of his own senses, a car was stopped on the far right lane and the guy in front of the Tesla didn't see it and jumped lanes last second while the Tesla owner was on adaptive cruise control, guess where the Tesla ended up? Yup in the back of that parked car because the owner was relying on the "self driving" feature instead of paying attention themselves.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they somehow need to design the cars so that we can tell where the corners are, like our 1983 was.

Maybe upright translucent "posts" at the corners?

Something. Can't even see the corners on my Miata.

Ralph

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't think its necessary, the backup camera is more than sufficient. ... I caution people from using sensors like this, you start trusting the sensors more than your own senses and that creates accidents. ... I still caution how far we should trust them in these early stages of development. Look what happened to the guy in the Tesla who trusted the system instead of his own senses,...
The guy in the Tesla was letting the car control itself. A backup camera (or parking sensors) does not control the car for you, it just gives you perception you wouldn't have otherwise. Personally, I love my backup camera, and don't even bother looking behind me when reversing: the camera shows me far more than I could possibly see out the back window with its fisheye lens. I only need to check the sides for things the camera can't see there (though the BSM helps a lot there too, but it's not good to rely on that since it might miss something, as it only alerts for large enough objects that are moving).

But for the parking sensors, maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see the point of rear parking sensors when you have a backup camera. I can already see everything great with the camera (except when the lens gets water on it...). But front sensors would be nice for tight parking situations.

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
No problem in the back with side view mirrors plus backup camera.

Problem is in front.

Ralph
Um, no it isn't.

I think they somehow need to design the cars so that we can tell where the corners are, like our 1983 was.

Ralph
Why are you so obsessed with "seeing the corners"? Really, you should have enough judgement skills so that after driving a car for a couple days you can park it without hitting something. Driving Skills 101, 8 o'clock, day one.
Home Depot has those orange markers that are used on the ends of a snow plow. Maybe you should put one on each corner of your car so you can not only drive it safely but also warn others to stay away.
:laughing019::laughing019::laughing019:​

·
*The Electrician*
1,000 Posts
When I drove 5-ton trucks if I was backing up and needed to get super close on the first shot I literally opened the drivers door and hung out so I could see enough of the back end.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Ralph
You could always do something like this yourself. Perhaps team flags on the front corners? Or flags of any other cause you support? Or simply make your own with whatever materials you like.

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
You have already started at least two threads about this, and a couple about front sensors, and you got the same answers in every one. I don't think we need to do this yet again. If you want to continue this discussion, do it in the threads you have started previously.....here are a couple to start with.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.