Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don't worry about it

Votes: 27 19.4%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned a new car until I bought my beautiful, shinny, Graphite Gray MZ3 GTS this last May, but even with older cars, the ones that were still in good condition, I always made a point of parking further away, or out of the way as much as possible, I think the only one I didn't was an older Mazda B2000 that was a beater, so I thought it might be interesting to see what others think.

Call it paranoia or just caution.. you can add anything you want... what shape is your car in and how old is it? Is it a dark or light color? ( I think I was less cautious when I owned silver and white cars, but not much). What bad experiences have you had in parking lots? ..etc., etc.

Check as many choices as you want and add others in he thread.

:tank:​

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I've owned new and used cars and I'm not really picky where I park, I just park wherever there's shade or open parking lol I got my first car 11 years ago when I was 18, a used red 2000 accord v6 coupe. It was in pretty good condition and was only about 2 years old at the time. Having the car for only a week or so, I was at the mall, parked in a pretty busy parking lot, I came out and saw the back bumper had a long scuff, like someone turned into it or something. Couldn't figure out how someone could hit it like that. It was quite painful to see =/

Though in my new car (09 pontiac vibe gt) I was dropping off my mom and when she got off she swung open the door all the way, hitting a pole. That left a slight dent and scuff, car is black so can't really see it most of the time. Sometimes you just can't avoid these things lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
My preferred option isn't there...

My Wife has MS (the disease, not a Speed!), so I usually get to use the disabled spaces on the weekend or whenever we get to go out. Previously, when her Gen1 MZ3 was new we would happily walk the extra yards to keep it out of harms way, and when I'm out alone I try to do the same now too if poss. Weekdays I work at a transport depot, usually we all alternate front in/rear in so that there's plenty clearance between the passenger sides. However, got my first ding a month or so ago, someone parked their work truck next to my car and the wind caught their door before he could grab it. Sh*t happens... first ding and then you don't stress so much about it, it's actually a relief.

2012 Sky Blue MZ3. The white paint mark buffed out but the crease is still there, passenger side front fender.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i try to park away from other cars, otherwise youre asking for trouble. people have no respect for other peoples cars when opening doors, my wifes car looks awful, tons of dents and scratches , she always parks as close to the mall entrance as possible.
maybe you cant avoid dents in the long run but you can at least try to prevent them

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I go for curb spots. I Park as close as I can to the curb which leaves a lot of room on the other side of the car. If no curb spots are available I Park way in the back by myself. I'd much rather walk a little farther then have my pride and joy all dinged up. People just don't give a crap about other people's stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will always park away from other people even if it requires me to walk a few extra feet. My favorite place to park is as close to a side curb as possible or super close to the support poles in a parking garage. If I have a co-pilot they will have to wait to get in or out accordingly. I refuse to park next to a cart corral, there are too many careless people who cant walk the extra 5 steps to make sure the cart goes IN the designated area..

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also try to stay away from the cart corrals and get curb spots when possible. I do not like to park by myself though, isolated in the rear of the lot, it feels like you are a sitting duck for runaway carts and stuff. Also, I try to never park beside any old, junky, beat up, wrecked, etc. car either....you know they don't care. On that same note, I like to park next something new/nice/clean because hopefully they will care about their car too. And lastly, nothing against any overweight people, but I have noticed many times, fat people like to sling their door open without regard for what is next to them...what is up with that?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I usually park at the back of a lot, or where there's plenty of room around me. Less chance of coming back to a dinged up car, the extra walk is much needed exercise, and it's a lot easier to get out of there when there aren't 10 people around you fighting for the closest spot. For some reason, though, nearly have the time I come back to find someone parked directly next to my car. A completely empty lot and they want the space closet to me. Seriously, who's mind works like that?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I don't worry about it...mostly because I've always lived in large and busy enough cities that parking is usually at a premium and there isn't much choice unless you feel like circling around for half an hour. Shit's gonna happen when it wants.

That said, within any given space if there is a truck or car with large doors, I give a couple of extra inches of space on that side.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The Mazda is my daily driver. Although I try to park "smart", sometimes you just have to take what you can get. I try to take end spots and hug one side if I can. I have had my Mazda now for 4.5 years and still no dings on the door. WOOT!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I never worried about this with my Miata, it was so small I always had room. Maybe with the MS3 it will change. I'm always up for more walking, so I'll probably just part farther away.

·
Registered
105 Posts
With my MZ3 I always parked far back and in a shady area. Then I learned all about tree sap and decided to forget about shady areas. I always tried to park next to people who looked like they care about their car and would have respect for mine. When I got my CX-5, it got scratched on the first day by a careless coworker. I walked an extra 50 yards yesterday becauset the only open spot was next to her.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't get the people who park right next to a gaggle of shopping carts in the parking light, outside of the cart return; asking for a ding. Also got annoyed at burger king today when some fat ass family parked their raggedy Pacifica crooked right next to mine and the fat ass dad could barely get out without hitting my door. I'm sure if thee were not in front of the window where everyone could see he would a hit my shit, I already have a ding from that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually park at the back of a lot, or where there's plenty of room around me. Less chance of coming back to a dinged up car, the extra walk is much needed exercise, and it's a lot easier to get out of there when there aren't 10 people around you fighting for the closest spot. For some reason, though, nearly have the time I come back to find someone parked directly next to my car. A completely empty lot and they want the space closet to me. Seriously, who's mind works like that?
Same thing happens to me lol. I'll go out of my way to find a nice spot away from everyone, then I come back to find myself surrounded. Or someone is somehow parked in the spot directly in front of me as if they backed in. Why? Some people lol...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry i pissed on ur awesome thread
No, I don't feel like you did that, was just curious if you have ever had door dents while parked. I have many times and now am always paranoid, like the title, so I go out of my way to park where I think I have a bit more safety. So far, I've been lucky with my new MZ3.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts