2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used paper towels and a safe glass cleaner on my windshield and I could swear I see small marks on the windshield (chips?)
is this possible?

·
Registered
817 Posts
YES! if you are talking about the outside. Usually from rocks pebbles etc...from the hwy.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if the windshield was clean before using the glass cleaner and paper towels? I had just taken it through the car wash.
I was using microfiber cloth before I went to the paper towels this last time.
I have wax on my windshield that just won't come off, even using Invisible Glass.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Clay bar it.
this.
Take a blade to it if necessary as well. AFTER you wash it with soap and water and a microfiber.

Avoid the paper towels, but don't clay bar until you wash it down. You don't know what's in dirt particles, never take a rough surface like a paper towel to it.

As far as you know you might as well swap out the paper towel for some sandpaper as that's basically what you're producing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crap, my bad. I figured it wouldn't hurt it since I can wipe my home windows with them with no problem.
My Mazda dealer has a service called Star Windshield Repair for $55. I emailed to find out what it entails but they didn't get back to me.
I have a guy who details my car every 6 months, I'll have him clay bar it next time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a reply back from the dealer:

the windshield repair for $55.00 does work on most star(s) in the windshield under 1” and takes about 30-45 min (by appointment).

I will have them do this next oil change

·
Registered
975 Posts
I mean chances are you'll be fine. Glass is laminated and it can take a SERIOUS beating before you really scratch it.
I'm just recommending for future use, just throw a microfiber in your glove box and won't have to deal with any possible damage (albeit minor, can grow over time).

I would like to see whatever that service is to a windshield. It's probably stupid too at that "low" of a price, probably some spray on chemical that isn't even as good as RainX.

Yeah if you have someone that details your car, definitely just ask if they can take an old claybar and rub down the windshield for you, and then definitely also get some RainX and apply it about once a month. It makes a wonderful difference.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips, and I won't be using paper towels anymore

·
Registered
633 Posts
Got a reply back from the dealer:

the windshield repair for $55.00 does work on most star(s) in the windshield under 1” and takes about 30-45 min (by appointment).

I will have them do this next oil change
Check if your insurance company will fix a stone chip for free, most will since it makes sense to fix a stone chip for free than pay for a windshield after a stone chip goes to a crack.

Pat.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't hurt to try

1 - 11 of 11 Posts