2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Anybody here have experience getting their car ding repaired by PDR?
I would really appreciate it if you can please let me know what kind of damage, how much it cost you and what do you think about the repair.
I did a search in the forum but can't find much information.

Thank you in advanced

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dunston.
The dent is not that bad it's about an inch tall (door edge ding) on the rear driver side and it's about 4" from the front part of that door panel and about 7-8" from the bottom of the window.
It's really noticeable since the door panels are realtively large and don't have that many variation in them (no trim molding, etc).

Too bad I didn't see who did it. That white car (from the left over paint in the dent) must have been parked after mine is and it left before I got back to my car.

Just my luck I guess.. I always park my cars far away from any entrance or any other vehicles and 9 out of 10 it will be parked where no car can park besides the passenger side door.

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
I had this done to my truck after being in a hail storm. the chunks of ice were 1"+ and hit hard enough to smash my windshield. When i got the truck back, you would never tell that this happened to it.

Reactions: Yamazaki02

·
Registered
750 Posts
My experience was the same with a previous car. My dealer had a PDR guy who would work out of their service department one day a week. I happened to bring my car in on the lucky day. He charged a flat rate of $50 a panel and pulled out 4~5 small dents I'd built up over 8 years of ownership of the car. I could not find any evidence of a single one afterwords.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
Thanks Dunston.
The dent is not that bad it's about an inch tall (door edge ding) on the rear driver side and it's about 4" from the front part of that door panel and about 7-8" from the bottom of the window.
It's really noticeable since the door panels are realtively large and don't have that many variation in them (no trim molding, etc).

Too bad I didn't see who did it. That white car (from the left over paint in the dent) must have been parked after mine is and it left before I got back to my car.

Just my luck I guess.. I always park my cars far away from any entrance or any other vehicles and 9 out of 10 it will be parked where no car can park besides the passenger side door.
That sounds like it will be very easy to remove. As long as it did not chip the paint, you will be able to buff out the other cars paint and it will look as good as new.

I owned a independent dealership and had a awesome PDR guy. He would do a whole car for $80 for me and do a great job. Like I said, as long whoever is working on your car knows what they are doing, that dent should be popped out and touched up in about 15 minutes and be virtually invisible.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Our Mazda's don't have a hard clearcoat like Infinity and other manfacturers use. So that is a big plus for popping out a dent.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have had it done - as long as the dent is not on a crease or body line, it usually comes out 100% invisible.

The PDR guy has different techniques depending on the dent - heat, cold, suction, push from back side, etc. Ask the dealer who they recommend. Some guys charge per panel, some per dent.

I would always try this first before a full panel paint. If he can get out 80% of it, you usually won't notice it unless you look for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had this done on one of my other cars on the rear door. I can't remember the cost but they did a great job. I actually need to get it done on this car. My ex-husband put a nice dent in the hood. :argh 1:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the response and information everybody.
Looks like only in Portland (OR) metro area they can charge outrages price.
So far the prices that I found online for PDR around here is $99/dent minimum. One of them listed $100 as the starting price for a dent smaller than a quarter.

I guess I can try doing the heat - freeze technique from Haku's post first.

Just for fun, I saw this video on youtube about removing dent by using popcorn. I think it's a joke but it at least gave me something to smile about.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the response and information everybody.
Looks like only in Portland (OR) metro area they can charge outrages price.
So far the prices that I found online for PDR around here is $99/dent minimum. One of them listed $100 as the starting price for a dent smaller than a quarter.

I guess I can try doing the heat - freeze technique from Haku's post first.

Just for fun, I saw this video on youtube about removing dent by using popcorn. I think it's a joke but it at least gave me something to smile about.

Thanks again guys.
I know $100 seems like a lot, but I used to do service work and it takes a lot to put a truck on the road. This PDR person has to pay himself, keep insurance, and pay for tools and equipment. He has travel time to your job and then to the next one. He could spend an hour working out your one dent.

If you go to a body shop, they will either paint the whole panel or blend the paint - either way they will usually cost 3X and you have a much more invasive repair.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Are there any shops in the area that perform PDR? Does your dealership have a PDR guy camp our in their service department on certain days of the week like the one I mentioned? They may be cheaper than a mobile unit with all of the overhead costs. We have both around here. Some of the Windshield repair companies also do PDR.

I probably got the great deal I did because the mobile guy camped out at the dealership all day and worked cars as fast as they came by and that lowered his operating costs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not saying that they are not supposed to make profit.
But after seeing what they are charging elsewhere (even where the standard of living is higher) the PDR here are charging a little much.

Maybe I can ask them for group discount ha ha ha

I know $100 seems like a lot, but I used to do service work and it takes a lot to put a truck on the road. This PDR person has to pay himself, keep insurance, and pay for tools and equipment. He has travel time to your job and then to the next one. He could spend an hour working out your one dent.

If you go to a body shop, they will either paint the whole panel or blend the paint - either way they will usually cost 3X and you have a much more invasive repair.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are there any shops in the area that perform PDR? Does your dealership have a PDR guy camp our in their service department on certain days of the week like the one I mentioned? They may be cheaper than a mobile unit with all of the overhead costs. We have both around here. Some of the Windshield repair companies also do PDR.

I probably got the great deal I did because the mobile guy camped out at the dealership all day and worked cars as fast as they came by and that lowered his operating costs.
I have to ask the dealership here next time I come up for an oil change.
Thanks for bringing that up

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was he upset since you are taking the nicer car :tongue:

I had this done on one of my other cars on the rear door. I can't remember the cost but they did a great job. I actually need to get it done on this car. My ex-husband put a nice dent in the hood. :argh 1:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Someone quoted me a $150 for a PDR on my old GTi. I laughed and said "thanks, but I'll get some more quotes." So, don't be too discouraged, there are plenty of people out there that do them and the economy is tight so if they want the business, they'll give you a good quote.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks.
Yeah, I'm thinking about waiting out a bit too.
My MZ3 is now the family car and even when I practice "safe parking" I still got a dinged..
Maybe the Celestial Blue is not too much of a visible color and I might get a few more ding.

Our last family car is a 8 years old solar yellow IS300 and when I traded it in it has 0 ding.
There is a scuff mark on the bumper (looks like someone slide across their shoes or some kind of package on it) but no ding.

Too bad they don't have the MZ3 in yellow..I might go with that. :tongue:
LOL

Someone quoted me a $150 for a PDR on my old GTi. I laughed and said "thanks, but I'll get some more quotes." So, don't be too discouraged, there are plenty of people out there that do them and the economy is tight so if they want the business, they'll give you a good quote.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts