2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deep crystal blue 3 hatch, and I've been thinking lately that the stock wheels might look good done up in a gold/bronze tone.

I know the BRZ/GT86/FRS crowd has had good success with spraying the OEM wheels bronze. What do you guys think of spraying the standard factory wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Powdercoat will hold up better. I had my previous car's wheels powdercoated by a local shop that knows to use lower temps and a longer cure. Held up fine through 120k miles, multiple track sessions and numerous tire changes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking the same thing for my blue hatch. I get some heat from my buddies that say its too much of a subie thing (to go blue and gold), but f that lol. its all about personal expression right? haha if you end up doing it, post some pics, would love to see the stockers painted bronze or gold.

·
Registered
212 Posts
God, that is a beautiful M Coupe. I contemplated buying one of those, but used BMWs without warranties scare me.

I did a quick Photoshop job of the stockers done up in a gold/bronze tone. I kinda like it.....
That car was awesome. Both on the track and just getting groceries. It held a keg in the hatch, like it was specifically designed for that. The naturally aspirated BMW's were fine out of warranty. I'm a little more scared of our recent turbo ones, they seem to like the dealership and expensive warranty work a lot more.

Bronze wheels look good on anything. My white 3 will likely end up with something lighter and bronze at some point.

·
Registered
510 Posts
god that m coupe is beautiful. hard to find one up for sale nowadays, at least in australia. you'll never forget your first beemer. head gaskets and oil gasket problems aside, they're definitely the most involving and rewarding driving car ever.

·
Registered
212 Posts
god that m coupe is beautiful. hard to find one up for sale nowadays, at least in australia. you'll never forget your first beemer. head gaskets and oil gasket problems aside, they're definitely the most involving and rewarding driving car ever.
Thanks, it actually never had any gasket problems. There were only 6200 made for the world, and I think under 1000 with RHD, and I bet most ended up in the UK. Funny story about those cars though, I owned it when I was working about half of the year in Germany and wondered why I didn't see many there, I think I only saw maybe a dozen over five years, and travelled all over the country. But someone explained to me why, they were geared for top speed at redline in fifth and had a small gas tank, so they weren't loved for Autobahn use, since they had such a short range at 250kph.

Part of me wishes I still had it, but a dozen years, lots of track time and plenty of cross country drives were all fun. Nice to have a more practical car now, but it would be nice if BMW still made things that were as fun as that car was. They're certainly faster now, but not nearly as fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.