2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided its time to paint my caliper’s. My car is Titanium Flash, and I have the stock colored bright silver rims as shown in the attached picture. I can’t decide what color to paint them though. I did a quick search and didn’t really find the kind of info I was looking for so why not ask some active members of this forum.

Color options I am thinking about include, Matte Black, a Dark Grey or Gunmetal, a Silver to almost match the factory color and the wheels, bronze, or maybe red.

Give me your thoughts and opinions. I appreciate your replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would go with Red, the calipers are already painted in stock silver, so going with any color similar really won't add too much to the appearance factor of the car.

Red stands out more IMO, but honestly choose whatever color you really like :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd go with black myself. The 11.5" front rotors look pretty small under the 18" rims (let alone the rear rotors) and going red (or any other colour with a strong contrast) would only remind you of that on a daily basis :grin2:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Had same thought for brake color and went black so I'd also go black or match the body colour. Like poster above red says look at my performance brake... that we don't have hehe....

On the plus Black does look good.... here's mine

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Whatever color you choose, really important you choose high temp paint. I have used and really like G2's line; many of their caliper HT paints are sold at Amazon. Here's just one example of several colors they have.

https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-...d=1494390531&sr=8-2&keywords=g2+caliper+paint

PM me if you go this route and want a few suggestions on best ways to use G2. I am going to get their Soul Red for my SR 3. And it you crave a specific color, for around $100 they will make it in any color you want 9as long as you give them a paint code of any brand.

Best of luck.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
So what would you guy's thoughts be on white calipers on a white car? I know they would be constantly dirty but i'm more concerned with it looking weird if i got regular white caliper paint since my car is the factory pearl white paint. Right now have gunmetal/charcoal wheels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Following! I want to do the same!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not much help, but I think you're better off doing a red of some sort to go with white... Here's my mom's car with white calipers...

Here's leftover Kona Blue on my 6...

Here's the burnt copper I did on my 3...

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just a thought...gloss or white won't only be dirty when it rains, but will also get covered in brake dust. I suggest matte.

P.S. That's why my wheels were powder coated GM Gray instead of black.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Lime green. I previously had yellow when the wheels were purple.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Lime green. I previously had yellow when the wheels were purple.

Do you use any solution to clean the caliper of prior G2 colors before you change the colors or did you just paint over?

My dealership has been giving me alot of shit about this and how it's to blame for all my brake concerns, so was curious if there's any simple solution to taking it off.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Do you use any solution to clean the caliper of prior G2 colors before you change the colors or did you just paint over?

My dealership has been giving me alot of shit about this and how it's to blame for all my brake concerns, so was curious if there's any simple solution to taking it off.
My friend painted them for me. He just cleaned them with the cleaner provided and painted over them.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Before painting, if you have a several year old car with rust, excessive dirt, etc., I would first get a medium scotch bright and lightly scuff up the area you are going to paint.

Then spray everything you are going to paint, use a spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner. However, before doing that, tape over all your rubber pieces/parts. Just place something plastic underneath each brake, with a few paper towels in the center, to catch the dripping crap so it doesn't stain your garage floor. It will dry by itself.

Then paint away.

There are many, many really good YouTube videos. Here is just one (though lengthy, it gives all the info needed).

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
As to the above thought that one should use a matte caliper paint, because a gloss on will not look good due to brake dust and dirt, the following pictures show how my glossy red G2 paint looks while my car is very dirty.. I live on a gravel road and with days of rain recently, you can see all the junk on my mudflaps, yet as in the second picture, the glossy red calipers, while now dirty, still look pretty good.

Separately, while I initially painted them 17,500 miles away, I am impressed how excellently the paint has held up.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts