2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen anybody post anything about painting the ugly black plastic around the fogs. Has anyone done this yet? I think it would look a lot better with a glossy black to blend in better with the paint. It's the only part of the front end that is ugly in my opinion.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to go about this?

·
Registered
975 Posts
I feel like the matte surfaces help offset the entire body of glossiness, IMO a glossy foglight would not be as attractive, especially if it's textured plastic (hard to get smooth), and if done poorly, would... look worse.
There are lots of matte surfaces to help balance it all over the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel like the matte surfaces help offset the entire body of glossiness, IMO a glossy foglight would not be as attractive, especially if it's textured plastic (hard to get smooth), and if done poorly, would... look worse.
There are lots of matte surfaces to help balance it all over the car.
Valid point but not really what I asked. But you don't see higher end cars using matte black plastic in similar areas (around fogs and also that ugly strip of plastic across the back bumper). It's clearly something done to save money, which is great and all, but it's not aesthetically pleasing in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh damn that's perfect. Thanks for the link!
Make sure to share and tell us how the parts fit. I am adamant about not making any car part purchases on ebay especially when they come from China but I would love to cover up the matte in gloss black as well. :laugh2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure to share and tell us how the parts fit. I am adamant about not making any car part purchases on ebay especially when they come from China but I would love to cover up the matte in gloss black as well. :laugh2:
I definitely will. Estimated arrival is the 23rd and it's free shipping.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I gave mine a really light sand blast then used plastic primer followed by gloss black paint. They are holding up well.

The chrome rings were a pain, I heavily scoured them with course wet and dry followed by plastic primer then paint but after a month small stone chips became apparent. I then soaked them in bleach for a week to remove all the chrome. plastic primer then paint and have been great since.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I received the fog covers. They came a little later than expected but they look great and were packaged well. I just put them on and I can't think of a reason why Mazda wouldn't put them on the car stock because it looks a lot better. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow since its dark now, but in my opinion they look fantastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts