2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is possible to paint over Carbon Fiber finish? I called Maaco (paint shop), they said they won't do it because they can't warranty it. He said something about bubbling ...and it can't be painted over....
Anyone here painted something over carbon fiber finish?

·
Registered
530 Posts
What are you trying to paint? Is it real CF or a wrap of some kind?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think he means the fake carbon fiber textured finish on the interior of the car.

I have seen Plasti-Dip and Vinyl wrap done. It looks pretty good at first but I have yet to see or hear about the long term effects, so it hard to say how long the finish will last. If end up getting it painted let us know. I cant stand the fake carbon finish and would love to get rid of it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think he means the fake carbon fiber textured finish on the interior of the car.

I have seen Plasti-Dip and Vinyl wrap done. It looks pretty good at first but I have yet to see or hear about the long term effects, so it hard to say how long the finish will last. If end up getting it painted let us know. I cant stand the fake carbon finish and would love to get rid of it.
I want to if this can be painted before purchasing it.... Carbon Fiber Rear Roof Spoiler Lip Wing Fit for Mazda Axela Wagon 5D 2014 2015 | eBay

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
It is possible to paint over Carbon Fiber finish? I called Maaco (paint shop), they said they won't do it because they can't warranty it. He said something about bubbling ...and it can't be painted over....
Anyone here painted something over carbon fiber finish?
You can definitely paint over carbon fiber, but to get any kind of adhesion - you need to rough up the surface a bit. Most shops are a little hesitant to take any grit to carbon fiber, because it'll never look as good as it did when it was gel coated.

I've seen people paint a tinted clear over the carbon fiber and it looks amazing. You can still see the finish, but it's a lighter shade of color.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can definitely paint over carbon fiber, but to get any kind of adhesion - you need to rough up the surface a bit. Most shops are a little hesitant to take any grit to carbon fiber, because it'll never look as good as it did when it was gel coated.

I've seen people paint a tinted clear over the carbon fiber and it looks amazing. You can still see the finish, but it's a lighter shade of color.
My car is pearl white just like yours and I want the spoiler to match the color...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Look at that spoiler closely. It's one piece. I don't see how you can mount it except losing the lower piece with the lamp. You usually see this in a 2pc setup. If you do get it let me know how it looks like installed. I was planning to get the 2pc CF which would be around 600 dollar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.