2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow while the front bumper is on the ground for the horn install, I'm going to pull off the front Mazda emblem and paint it black. What color should I do the rest around it? Attaching two pics from another post. Before and after. I would color match my car but I don't think graphite mica will stand out much, so any other ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
So tomorrow while the front bumper is on the ground for the horn install, I'm going to pull off the front Mazda emblem and paint it black. What color should I do the rest around it? Attaching two pics from another post. Before and after. I would color match my car but I don't think graphite mica will stand out much, so any other ideas?

Defiantly black with white inside looks 10x better!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just can't really imagine what it will look like with the cup graphite and the emblem black. I guess it would look like the other areas of the car that have black plastic next to the graphite color. More or less.

·
Registered
286 Posts
DO IT ! I think it will look good but then again I'm not sure how much it would stand out. I have CPW and blacked out my emblem and color matched the cup behind. Looks exactly like the pictures you posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 71410

Just last week I plastic dipped my front emblem black and used a gray plastic dip behind it. Obviously doesn't match the liquid silver paint but still comes out looking pretty good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

That looks really nice. I need to fight with my emblem next time I drop the bumper to see if I can free it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
question: how did u paint the emblem? plastidip? im trygin to avoid using plastidip...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered some color match paint to paint the cup and black plastic around it, and I'm going to spray the emblem flat black with a few layers of clear coat over it. Should get a fairly decent color pop without being too crazy like bright green or pink or anything like that. I wasn't planning on using plastidip either but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Even the Mighty Car Mods guys from Australia(?) have talked about it. (YouTube series)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Don't forget if you use paint you must soak all emblems to be painted in bleach for 3 days...replacing the bleach and wiping down the emblems every few hours seems to work best for me.
I don't think I'd recommend JUST using plastic paint (Krylon Fusion) without bleaching. I did that on my headlights and it works great but the emblems will be more exposed to the elements and I'd be weary of it lasting long. Prime them with a plastic primer or adhesive prior to painting. For a gloss look you can just use a can of Rustoleum Automotive Clear. This is how to properly go the painting route. Most like to change it up so they use plasti-dip...I like things permanent :)
PS Plasti-dip would be good if you are unsure of the color scheme at first. Once you are sure you can always go permanent with paint. And to be honest, don't be afraid to color match your emblems if you are feeling that scheme. One of the nicest cars I've ever seen is owned by Tastic and he went color matched...looks sexy!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so for the rear badges, should I paint them all black or should I paint the number "3" in mazda3 a different color? if so, what color do you suggest?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.