2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As some owners of the Mazda 3 Hatchbacks (2014-2106) may have noticed the rear unpainted black plastic on our bumpers gets scratched very easily all the time (Although the entire bumper is one plastic piece, partially painted and unpainted)
Now it looks that Mazda have addressed this issue on the 2017 model by making the rear unpainted black plastic area in the bumper smaller. (Probably due to the last model being scratch prone all the time and now it will be easier to maintain since working with paint is easier than working with pure plastic)

According to my local Mazda dealership, the texture of the OEM black plastic is difficult to work with, by sanding one small area the entire uniformity / texture of the plastic on that area will be completely different to other areas in the bumper making it to look worse. So according to them, in order to have our black bumper restored to OEM condition, you need a brand new OEM bumper and having it painted to match your car's OEM color or having the back bumper repair and sand completely but the texture of the unpainted plastic won't be original to the black plastic texture upon purchase.

Now my question is, have any of you guys here painted their rear unpainted black plastic bumper to a black glossy finish color (like the look the aero kit)? or have you fully painted then entire back bumper to the same OEM color of your car?
I'm considering doing one of those 2 options to my rear bumper since my bumper is mildly scratched and in my opinion a fully painted bumper (either 2 of the painting options) will withstand scratches better and will be less noticeable than with the regular unpainted black plastic.

Also any other suggestions are welcome! :grin2:
Thanks for reading and Cheers!

P.S: Added a couple of pictures for comparison and a picture of one of the deep scratches in my bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
I too have titanium flash color mz3, I am looking at wrapping the bumper in black or getting the rear aero kit bumper piece.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have mine wrapped in gloss black vinyl. Have had it on for almost 3 years now and still holding up fine. Some peeling around the rear bumper reflective area but otherwise it's still good. I really didn't like the dull matte black look, but I think it looks better having it glossy.

Here's a pic, kinda dirty right now but when it's clean it's shinier :D

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys! Really digging and considering to option to put black glossy vinyl. But the thing is that I got a voucher from my dealership to repair my back bumper for free! (No expiration date)
Therefore I'm thinking if eventually in 1 or 2 years my bumper will look pretty bad then I either want to paint the entire bumper to car's color or the unpainted black plastic to a glossy paint finish. If I put the vinyl then I will eventually will have to remove it to have the paint job done. So has anyone seen or has done to their own car the paint jobs I have mentioned above just to have an idea on how it looks? Also what do you guys think about painting the rear bumper completely to match car's color, would it look good/awesome?
@lowincash , Your car is sick! I think that a paint glossy finish on the bumper looks very close to the look of the glossy vinyl installed in your car. Does the vinyl withstands heat, rain properly? and most of important of all does it withstand scratches? How do you maintain it to make it look like new?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Thanks. I've thought about color matching it myself but on a white car I don't think it looks that good. I like the contract of the black and white better. But on a darker color car, having it color matched or even just gloss black will still look good.

As for the vinyl, it's been through rain and summer heat and so far still looks shiny. I only wash the car and occasionally wax it when I wax the car. I've also used the gloss vinyl wrap on all the door pillars and the triangle on the hatch spoiler area. Basically anywhere that is that matte flat black, I wrapped it in gloss black.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok guys! I went to the body shop, the guy tells me that in order to wrap the bumper it will cost me 100$, is that a fair price? He will use some good German vinyl brand. (Glossy black finish)

Now the two things that are bugging me are the following:

1- I have a free voucher to repair my bumper 100% from Mazda, is it worth investing on this vinyl now? I mean the normal bumper will keep getting scratched anyway with or without the vinyl but at least it will be more protected until I get to use voucher when is really needed.

2- The guy at the body shop told that the tricky part in the bumper is where the light reflectors are, therefore @lowincash, did you have the light reflectors removed from your bumper so the vinyl could get stretched inside the light reflector holes for better adhesion? or did you just have them installed the vinyl and have them cut the vinyl precisely to fit the light reflectors area (Without removing the light reflector)? Are you getting any sun bubbles/ lifting on that area?

(From the picture you posted above it looks to me that the adhesive of the vinyl is lifting on the light reflector area as it doesn't look even or flat to the surface, more of a stretched kind of look, maybe you are able to clarify :) ,also did you make cuttings for the circular towing caps on the bumper? )

The guy told me that he cannot guarantee neither option will be sun "stretching " proof in the light reflectors areas, so I'm still a little bit undecided as I want 100% look satisfaction.

Thanks once again for your input!

P.S: I hate how the rear unpainted plastic is not replaceable at all!!! So inconvenient!!!
Edit: Grammar corrections

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I paid $250 to wrap mine so your's a good price :D They didn't remove the reflectors, they just cut around it and then used separate pieces to wrap the curvy parts. It's not noticeable so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I painted mine deep blue crystal cuz some scrathes on it. Have car for 3 years now and paint is still on. paid 100 eur for it. I can post some picture if you want to see how it looks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts