2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MAAAAzda
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy decided to paint my calipers yesterday, I think they came out pretty well. Took some pics off the before/after. If anyones interested in doing it (there are some tuts, search around) go ahead an ask. It was very easy, just a pain to mask -___-

And yes, I went with the red. Thought it'd look the best.

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
very nice. I plan on doing mine soon. Probably in black and instead of spraying them, I'll probably just paint it on using a brush so I don't have to mask as much haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
MAAAAzda
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very nice. I plan on doing mine soon. Probably in black and instead of spraying them, I'll probably just paint it on using a brush so I don't have to mask as much haha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Yeah I realized I should've done this, we had to go up to the gas station to buy more newspaper since we ran out from all the masking haha :stuart:

·
MAAAAAD
2,140 Posts
Yeah I realized I should've done this, we had to go up to the gas station to buy more newspaper since we ran out from all the masking haha :stuart:
haha yea.. I hate masking. it takes so much time haha

oh and btw, get jack stands.. the scissor jacks can fail and next thing you know, your cars sitting on your brakes. or atleast put the wheel under the car behind the jack.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Anyone do Porsche yellow/orange for their calipers?

I'm wondering how it would look on my graphite mica with matte black wheels.....Looks great on a Porsche...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've done this on my 4Runner and my Mazda 3 with different products to see if there is any real difference between the two.

4Runner - I used the Duplicolor Caliper kit. Very simply application, although I did remove the caliper bracket and painted the actual caliper on the truck. The paint was a little more liquidly than typical paint. It dries rather fast, although they recommend you wait 24 hours before driving due to the heat and to give it time to cure.

Mazda 3 - I used the G2 Caliper Epoxy based paint. Simple but did require mixing the hardener with the paint and letting it sit up for a bit before painting. The paint part was the same. I believe you have a specified pot life of an hour or something, so it's best not to mix up the entire can at once. In fact, I noticed that this paint goes a long way. I mixed up a very small batch and was able to do a first coat of the entire car. In fact, I also removed the caliper brackets and managed to paint them off the car. It is much easier to do and, in my opinion, you get much better results.

Overall, I would highly recommend going the G2 route. My calipers still look like I just did it and it was well over a year ago. It seems to hold up much better than the Duplicolor. With the duplicolor, I noticed that it would begin fading and the surface rust would find it's way through. My 4Runner is a 2004 and I've had them painted for over 5 years. I have had to completely redo them at one point and touched them up two or three times. My Mazda 3 shows no sign of wear, so no need to do any touch ups there.

While I'm on the topic, I also took the opportunity to paint the rotors as well for both vehicles. I took them off the car, taped the areas where the brakes ride and sprayed them with BBQ paint. The first time I did it on the 4Runner, it seemed to hold up a while. Lately, I have been noticing more and more surface rust, but I can't recall if I used black high temp paint or the BBQ paint. I painted them black because I didn't want to look flashy, I just wanted to prevent the horrible surface rust that will eventually cover the entire rotor.

I tried uploading some images, but was getting errors. I'll have to try again later.

Tom

·
MAAAAzda
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha yea.. I hate masking. it takes so much time haha

oh and btw, get jack stands.. the scissor jacks can fail and next thing you know, your cars sitting on your brakes. or atleast put the wheel under the car behind the jack.
Yeah, my dad stole em and took em to his work -___- and my good jack was leaking hydraulic fluid, so didn't wanna risk that. But thanks for the tip brah

·
My car is Luke's father
1,005 Posts
Looks good man! I plan on painting mine once I get some different colored rims on my ride. Not looking forward to all the masking though...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just painted mine the other weekend. Used the G2 kit and they came out great!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Haha nah, the stock mazdaspeed brakes are pretty good actually. Would rather spend the money elsewhere on the car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.