2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone find that their paint scratches easily? My wife's car is only about 6mo old, but already has a few white scuff marks on the front bumper and hood. Also on the right rear quarter panel. Haven't hit anything or done anything to it that would cause scratches.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm pretty sure car might have been bumped or scratched while parked somewhere. I find scuff marks on my car that I know was't from me. I can't blame the car paint on this as this happens to all my previous cars. I do think the paint on a lot of new cars are getting thinner and thinner :( Surprisingly I have way fewer rock chips on this car than I did on my previous car. I have snowflake white and not sure if it's thicker paint or not but seems to hold up fairly well for the most part.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Haven't noticed anything after 2+ months of ownership, but then mine's liquid silver which hides a lot of stuff....

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
This is my fifth new car. I have not noticed any difference in the type of paint and/or finish. I think many of us just notice the scratches/scuffs a lot more when cars are newer because we keep staring at the car. My two cents. :nerd:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have to say this. I am/was on many different car forums. Cadillac, BMW, Dodge truck, Kia, Mazda and more. Every person, on every forum, for every car, seems to think that their cars paint is the worst ever produced. Each of these forums has a thread about how thin,soft, and fragile the paint is. I just don't understand. All cars paint will scratch when something abrasive runs across it. All cars paint will chip when rocks hit it.

Don't worry about it. These things will happen no matter how well you take care of the paint. Some folks get luckier than others.

Don

·
Registered
79 Posts
I find that paint on plastic surfaces on my cars (last four thanks to garage concrete wall) scratches easier than on metal surfaces. I may be wrong, but on black paint (previous car) the white plastic underneath the paint really stood out. Was mad as hell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've read that, generally speaking, durable paint jobs have gotten more difficult to achieve cheaply because some harmful chemicals have been phased out in recent years. This would explain why this trend appears across many makes/models.

That being said, paint protection (3M, etc) has made advances that may compensate for this, but I haven't tried those products. I'm cheap, and I choose parking spots carefully (which irritates the wife). I'm also careful not to tailgate, because windshields seem to have gotten weaker, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.