2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not find a dedicated thread/area for wash/wax/detail questions, so posting it here..

I have heard a lot about 'thin' paint and 'soft' clearcoats on Mazda3s and rust problems in general with this brand (on autopia, autogeek etc). I recently purchased a white HB and was wondering what the best route for rust protection would be.

Any detailers/weekend warriors here that can chime in?

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
There was a thread about this not to long ago. Everyone has there own superstitions. I wax two to three times a year and clean it by hand twice a week. All my cars have stayed nice so I say my way works good. But everyone has their own way of doing it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Look up Opti-coat / opti-guard. It's what I plan on putting on my car once I fix some paint chips and get it polished to perfection.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating

That is the consumer version. There is also a pro version (currently called opti-coat pro) that is harder to use but cures harder. You have to be in the business to get that version. I used the opti-seal on my car and it was how good that was that convinced me that I want the opti-coat. Also search on youtube for videos about opti-coat. Plenty up there about how to use it and the results.

Important note. These are permanent coatings that can only be removed with polishing. They are meant to last for years and are unlike any sealant or wax.

On another note. On one of the random warm days this winter I washed my car and tried the Turtle Wax Ice spray on wax. Easy to use and made the pearl in my CPW paint pop nicely. Seems to be lasting a good while through winter crap.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion John Doe. I looked into opti coat, and it seems promising. I'll probably give it a try once the weather gets warmer. My only gripe with this product is that once applied, you are limited to few LSPs that are spray-type or just hand application. You can't really use machine glazes, but hey.. Less work so I can't complain.

Just waiting for a warm winter day to do a proper wash, clay, polish, sealant regiment on my CWP hatch :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried Opticoat before, my husband and I love doing by ourselves but now, we are busy with so many things so we always go to car detailing to have our car painted. It's quite expensive but never regret, you really get what you pay for. We actually miss fixing our car with our own hands but due to a hectic schedule we cannot do it this time. I think you guys should also try ceramic painting. I got it from Ceramic Protection Brisbane - Car Paint Protection, Chemical RustProofing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts